Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I could use some veteran advice on this one ...

'02 Bonneville:

1. My speedometer light's not very bright at night.
What bulb should I use for a brighter display?
I hear owners talk about LED bulbs.

2. Down the road, I'd like to buy David's "D9"
flat bracket. My '02 didn't come with a tach.
If I buy one, how difficult would it be to connect?

3. While driving, my steering seems very
touchy. If I just tap either end of the handlebar,
the bike responds too much, I think, and wobbles
(slightly) immediately. I can't remember
my other cycles being so touchy. I'm wondering
if I might have a bushing or bearing on the front
end going bad?

I really appreciate the advice given in this Forum.
There's nothing like being supported by a band
of brothers with similiar interests :bighand: ...

Finally got the right photo, in the proper size ...

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
#2: D9 bracket: Just got done installing mine - but not connected the tach yet.
The D9 kit is geared towards those who have twin gauges. Converting from a single gauge setup, you'll need some more parts.

Best bet is to start looking for a tach retrofit kit, around $280 on ebay to avoid getting nitpicked on the small parts.

I bought a tach separately on ebay, but it came without nuts/bolts/cup/wiring.

As for the wiring, supposedly as easy as tapping into +,- and the negative side signal going to the coil

As for your steering - first thing to check is air pressures, are they within spec? Those tires sometimes seems to seep out some pressure...

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Speedo light

Use one WLEDx5 and one 74xHP3 bulb from SuperbrightLEDs for maximum brightness.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/mini-wedge.html

The tachometer would use two WLEDx5.

D9's brackets are a straightforward install. He might have one for a single speedometer. E-mail him: davidnyne at yahoo dot com.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Replies, and information.

Yes, I know the D9 is for dual gauges - I had planned on getting a tach, and the D9 at the same time. I had E-mailed david, and he sent me a complete set of installation instructions, to help prepare me.

David seems to be a great guy, and a magician with the metal & machinery. He's quite a credit to our brotherhood.:beerchug:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wiring the tach to the harness is not a big deal at all. The wiring in the harness exists in all the bikes to connect the tach to, you just have to tap into it.

My member album has pictures and wiring diagrams that may help you. If you've done any wiring mods/repairs to anything in the past, this is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wiring the tach to the harness is not a big deal at all. The wiring in the harness exists in all the bikes to connect the tach to, you just have to tap into it.
On the 02's the red wire from pin15 on the igniter isn't present.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Answer?

That annoying front end looseness was bothering me as well.
See my post in "What did you do to your twin today?" for advice on tightening the headstock bolt. Mine was definitely not tightened to torque specifications, gotta blame the guy who set it up.
Takes a huge spanner but if you have a large crescent wrench you can do the job. Tightened mine a full quarter turn and a bit more.
Did make a difference but I'm still installing a steering damper ,one from Mike at Bella Corse (selmotion)
Try the tightening if that's not enough, go for a damper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts