Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the tank today so I could remove the air injection kit on my brother Thruxton and noticed 2 wires just hanging there and nothing in the area to have them connected too. I have some pics I will post later. One of them had a wire spring connector and the other a regular type connector with alot of dialectiric grease in it. I search and search but could not find a connection for them anywhere on the bike or the air injection system.

Any thoughts on what they could be for? Accessory plugs?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
The wiring harness may be similar to the one on my T100. There are two connectors under the tank. One is unswitched by the ignition switch, and can be used for things like the Triumph 12v accessory plug. This can be used as a quick connection for Battery Tender chargers, or as a power source for electric vests.

The switched connection can be used for devices like heated grips .... things you don't want to stay powered up when you stop the bike, draining the battery.

Bob

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I have those two extra plugs as well on my bikes. Thought I better not mess with them.

Once when I was working on the battery leads on my 1998 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster, the wrench accidentally touched ground against the frame. It blew a fuse amid a flash and a pop, and sent a big smoke ring 3 feet in diameter straight up above the bike. That was a sight!

So, I'm not about to mess with those Triumph wires till I know what they're all about. It would be just like me to plug in a heated vest or something.

·
Registered
80 Posts
On 2006-11-28 22:49, Scrambler900 wrote:
I have those two extra plugs as well on my bikes. Thought I better not mess with them.

Once when I was working on the battery leads on my 1998 Harley-Davidson 883 Sportster, the wrench accidentally touched ground against the frame. It blew a fuse amid a flash and a pop, and sent a big smoke ring 3 feet in diameter straight up above the bike. That was a sight!

So, I'm not about to mess with those Triumph wires till I know what they're all about. It would be just like me to plug in a heated vest or something.
The connector that is hot all the time is where the factory triumph accessory plug kit connects to and I believe it is fused.

The other odd shaped connector that is switched (power comes on when you turn the ignition key on) is to power a California only emission electrical device. The device is not on most other bikes. I have used the wires to the connector to power a relay which inturn turns on the power ( I put a fuse in line of course) from the battery to my heated grips. It works great. You could use this to power any relay to power any accessory you would like by turning the key.

I have confirmed this with my local Triumph mechanic and he is the one that suggested to use the relay so not as to burn up any wiring.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Motoleo - I didn't install a relay when I installed heated grips, but took power directly from the switched outlet. I was thinking (dangerous) that 3-4 amps wouldn't harm the wiring. Any thoughts on this?

I do like your approach of using a relay better. What'd you do, connect the relay directly to the battery and switch it off/on with the ignition switch?

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2006-11-29 13:58 ]

·
Registered
308 Posts
The wiring harness may be similar to the one on my T100. There are two connectors under the tank. One is unswitched by the ignition switch, and can be used for things like the Triumph 12v accessory plug. This can be used as a quick connection for Battery Tender chargers, or as a power source for electric vests.

The switched connection can be used for devices like heated grips .... things you don't want to stay powered up when you stop the bike, draining the battery.

Bob[/QUOTE

Hi all i have just fitted my grips today,and just to get them up and running quickly they have been wired to the battery ,obviously i would like to be able to switch the power off with the ignition to avoid a flat battery ,so the question is .... which connector under the tank is the switched one ?

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
DejaVu ........... an old thread comes home!

I believe I used a multimeter and tested each outlet with the key off, then with the key on.

One of them should show 12V (approx) with key off or on ... it's the unswitched one, and the switched should show 12v only with the ignition switch turned on. The unswitched one is where I attached the Triumph 12V outlet, which I use to power an electric vest.

Conservatively, the Triumph charging system at road speed should be capable of providing over 300Watts. My sleeveless vest required approx 40W, and the heated grips took another 30W. The headlight is the biggest power consumer (I believe...don't think ignition takes much), and the tail lamp doesn't either.

However, with Triumph's small 10amp hour battery, I wouldn't spend a lot of time putting thru town in traffic with everything plugged in. You might then be consuming more than you're replenishing.

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts