Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've posted a few times but I guess I should introduce myself now since I'm probably going to be spending a good amount of time here. I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin (Harley country), and drive an '09 S3. I also have an '03 Honda 954RR that is track-only.

I've been a Honda man all my life but recently got the bug to try something with a bit of a harder edge to it, and it came down to the Ducati Monster and the Triumph Speed Triple - and like all of you here I went with the Triple. Water cooled, bad-a$$ looks, built in the mother country, what's not to love? :) The ducatista have a bit of an uppity reputation here in beertown as well, which helped sway me towards Triumph.

So - my question is this: Do most Speed Triples take more than one crank to start? It seems like no matter how long I crank the first time, I have to release the starter button and press it again, at which point she usually fires right up.

This site has tons of good info - thanks everyone for contributing.

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
My '08', when cold, likes a 1 to 2 second crank and then starts right up on the second hit of the starter. I never give it a long crank. The bike has 5000+ miles on it and has been this way since day one. I also keep a battery tender on her.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yup, my '08 S3 does the exact same thing, my normal routine nowadays is just to tap the starter for a sec and then hit it again to fire the bike up.
I don't have any proof but to me it seems like the fuel pump might not be priming the rails enough, another thing that makes me think that is when I go from high rpm to shut throttle the engine often lags like its suddenly starved for fuel, even dying a few times. Its not a huge problem but I have been wondering for a while if it was just my bike or a 08-09 issue.
Beside that it is still my absolute dream bike, even after test riding a Streetfighter and Monster 1100 I couldn't imagine riding anything else.

·
Registered
848 Posts
My '07 has done it from day one and continues to do it after 23,000+ miles.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad to see another Cheese Head.

I have an 06. When it's cold, 2-3 second starts are the norm. Triumph addressed this issue in newer bikes, but apparently hasn't been completely fixed.

If it is consistently doing it to you, try cycling the key a few times before you try starting it. This should prime the fuel rail. If it still requires two punches at the start button, then its probably electrical. A pickup sensor or ECU code somewhere.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Same for my '05. When it was in stock trim, it needed a few cranks followed by one quick touch or the start button.

Now with an M4 GP pipe and a 3 into 1 map, it likes to crank for a second until it coughs once, then it starts right up...

This, however, is when it's cold. When it's warmed up, just looking at the start button makes it instantly roar to life.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts