Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do my first valve check on my 2006 Bonneville. It has 26K miles and I purchased back in October. At the time of purchase, it had about 21K.

In the service manual is states that a special tool is required (T880330) Spanner wrench and two locking pins. Is this tool really necessary or are there ways around this?

Any tips before I start into this?. I've done camshaft removals and shim replacements on in-line four cylinders before so the bonneville should be relatively easy...:|

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have found you don't need the special tool, you can get by with an appropriately sized allen key.
...and if it falls out, don't panic, it fairly easy to get back together. Jam a big old screwdriver in the gears, twist and re-insert the key :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
RichB, thanks for the tip on locking the gears. I'll try a hex key.

Went out to the garage this evening to start the work. I had the seat, tank, and valve cover of in 10 minutes. If this had been my FJR, it would have been at least an hour to get to the point where the valve cover was off. This bike is way easier to work on than my FJR.

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Went out to the garage this evening to start the work. I had the seat, tank, and valve cover of in 10 minutes. If this had been my FJR, it would have been at least an hour to get to the point where the valve cover was off. This bike is way easier to work on than my FJR.
I'll second that on my R1 - geez these Bonnies are easy to work on. That's what makes them such a pleasure to own. :smile2:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts