Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Bonnie Black. I decided to heat wrap the headers about 2 months ago. I kept looking at pictures and looking for descriptions and finally jumped. I went with a black which is more like grey. The hardest part for me was starting and ending. I used the thin clamps that came with the DEI kit. The clamps are small, so clamping down a 2'' wrap was difficult so I used 2 of them. I also had a tube of black rtv gasket sealer so I used a little to nail down the frayed edges. The smell and smoke were brutal but it didn't last long. The reassembly was pretty easy. Hardest part was the cross tube under the bike, she didn't want to come loose or go back together. In addition to needing to remove the footpeg and brake light assembly to get at the muffler bracket on the right side.

It really does look cool. I'm glad I did it.....next up drag bars....

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Oh come on now... You make a post like that, and don't give us any pictures????

I've actually got the wrap in my garage right now, was going to do it today, but forgot to get new exhaust gaskets.

Did you wrap the crossover pipe? And did you soak the wrap first?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I was thinking of wrapping my pipes last fall...but stopped after several of the guys I ride with said that it could cause the pipes under the wrap to rust...

It does look good...but I havent seen any black wrap that doesnt look grey after a while...they suggested I powder coat them...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as rusting goes I dont think the argument holds water. The miles and time that would have to go by for those pipes to rust through cant even be measured acurately.

I did not wrap the crossover. I will keep an eye on it to see if it gets red hot. If it does, I will wrap it. But it doesnt seem to be problem yet. After I finished the job (about 2.5 hours) I put about 50 miles on it with no worries.

I didn't soak them, I used a squirt bottle. I did the job by myself and the constant squirting was a pain, if I ever have to do it again I will dunk the wrap in a bucket first.

I did not mess with any gaskets. The header came off with no problem, you couldn't even tell that there was a gasket.

I used black rtv sealer where the muffler met the pipe and where the crossover met. When I took them off I noticed that there was a little gummy sealer from the factory so I clened it off and reapplied a thin film of the black stuff. Like I sad above I also used a very small amount on the end of the cut wrap to curtail the fraying.

Pics.....where do you guys host them? I'll try to take a few today.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Oh come on now... You make a post like that, and don't give us any pictures????

I've actually got the wrap in my garage right now, was going to do it today, but forgot to get new exhaust gaskets.

Did you wrap the crossover pipe? And did you soak the wrap first?
I`ve had my headers off at least a hundred times and have never replaced the copper gaskets.Just a smear of Permatex ultra copper sealant and your good to go.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
i wrapped my pipes a couple months ago. to get over the smoking that happens initially just ride it on the highway really fast so you dont even notice it! did it for no other reason than i liked the way it looks.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I`ve had my headers off at least a hundred times and have never replaced the copper gaskets.Just a smear of Permatex ultra copper sealant and your good to go.
Thanks for the info.

Actually glad I didn't do it this morning since it's not really good riding weather today anyhow... 48° overcast, and windy as hell...

But now that I know this as soon as it looks like the weather will brake and I've got the time I will do it.

Blue:

You did a Great job, I know some don't like the look of a wrapped header, but I think it fits perfectly on these bikes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These wraps look so good. I just bought 50' of black 2" wrap that I'm going to start with, but of course, I'm questioning it because of all the nay-sayers who say my pipes will rust over and the earth will turn upside down.

My deal is a little different.. This bike was previously laid down at low speeds and there's little baby scratches down the pipe which actually may rust.

Anybody have any feedback on this?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Stock pipes hold up okay to the insolated heat from the wrap . However I did it to a set of Bubs and they rusted up and broke . Just remember when you wrap them they'll blue and darken to the point polishing won't help. Only a ceramic coat.
I've done it many times . On the bike . Off the bike . Whatever . Better to take them off but anyone can wrap a set of pipes on the bike in an hour or 2 . Just remember to wet it . Not just so it's easer to tighten the wrap but so you're also no breathing in the dust coming off the wrap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts