Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just plunked my deposit on the new S3 last week, and can't freakin wait (dealer says any day now). All the research and reading has me so psyched for this bike that I have been having trouble sleeping nights.
I started looking naked because I was getting tired of the same old thing from all the Jap bikes, and I wanted something with its own character. Started looking Monster, and liked it a lot, but a friend of mine said I should check out the S3, and the more I looked into it the more I knew this was the bike.

Anyway, just wanted to pop my post cherry and say cheers. :-D

·
Registered
692 Posts
I was feeling the same way about my Jap bike, LOVED the performance, hated the 3rd hour of riding,

Started researching nakeds for a different riding position,
( a cruiser was out of the question! ) Not fat or hairy enough to fit in

I didn't know what a streetfighter was, when I saw the speed 3 on the web - I thought it was the ugliest, sexxyest bike I had ever seen!
I owned it 3 days later without a moment of buyers remorse.

The US hasn't really gotten into streetfighter style yet, Just Harley's and sportbikes occasionally a few stunters, Most with the same bolt on mods as the bike next to it,
Almost as boring as a showroom floor full of the same bikes.

Now I am looking at my 05 GSXR 750 with a wrench and cutting tools.....to create my own fighter....thats sick

Oh yea..... For Sale - 05 GSXR plastics
:roflmoa2:

Your gonna love the speed 3!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Welcome to the Trumphet club MadMAc.............Congrats on the purchase. Let us know when you pick her up and post up some pics of the Nekkid Beauty.

Ken

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
the more I looked into it the more I knew this was the bike.
I was the same way. I really loved the old Daytona until they squared off the styling cues. That made me look closer at the S3. At first I thought it was piss ugly. Then one day it just grew on me. Now I don't see anything on the market that feels more like me.

It's funny, I went to bike night at the local diner tonight. Lots of Harleys, some Japanese sport bikes, a Monster, and one or two nice Italian sport bikes. All were nicely polished (while mine hasn't seen a sponge in weeks). My S3 gets only a little attention because it's not interesting to most of those other guys. But I gotta say that their boring, me-too, bikes put me to sleep. Give me a rat-ugly black bug-eyed beast any day of the week!

No offense to you guys with Harleys, but if I had to ride one of those, I wouldn't ride.

Capt.

·
Banned
48 Posts
mr madmac---have they made any significant (or otherwise) changes for 06? what are the new colors? it s a tad disheartening realizing my ain t brand new anymore. this is my 3rd speed triple (i made my 98 into a powerhouse and it already felt like a speed triple). man, you can sightsee in the country w the semi upright position or burn up pavement w the best of them when the urge strikes. also you don t have a rice burner, maybe a yorkshire pudding burner or the like. you ll never want jap after your 06 s3.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Congrats! I bought Triumph after a friend of mine, who has owned over 200 bikes, said "Buy the S3, you'll love it." He was right and I do. I don't know why I bought the S4, but it's fun in a completely different way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats with your excellent choice
The only problem you will have is to get that superb smile from ear to ear from your face after you ride it....

The first time I saw a speed triple and ride it was in Sicily, a speed triple 02...I was really surprised of the machine....before that moment I never thougt on Triumph...but since...
Only I had small reservations on the looks....but it changed when the 05 model came out....

I purchased mine without even seen it in reality... I saw the pictures on the web while I was working in Ghana (Africa) and I liked it...
I send my sister to the dealer and let her purchase it for me.
When I came home, the beauty was waiting for me... the first ride was like a wet dream....even the second, third, etc....ride is still like a good orgasm....I really melt for it....

If I put my S3 on a market-square to go and drink a coffee after or while a good trip ... for sure there will be people looking at it...some hate it and some really like it, but for sure you will hear reactions on it....The best one was two old guys looking at me when I arrived on the market of Ieper...the first one was saying to his friend he hoped he was young again and was able to drive that machine... the other one was telling something like you old fool, you will piss in your pants if you drive that thing...it's to powerfull....but it's a nice machine.

A duc Monster is a nice bike... but a little 'deja-vue'...they still make variations on the same bike....nothing major changes on that bike last few years....compared with the metamorphose the speed triple made.
Japanese sportbikes ok... they're good...but what more....I have the impression they miss personality...

Anyway enjoy your bike....

[ This message was edited by: biba on 2005-07-29 03:37 ]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome.
I too have not seen one in person yet, but I pester the dealer every day, and it should be next week at the latest.

From what I was told, there have been no changes what so ever for '06 including the price. Do not know if other colors are being offered or not. I heard a someone on this site say they saw a white one with blue lettering, but have not been able to confirm. I do know I will be getting black, at least that's what the dealer is expecting. I hope they are right since that is the color I would have picked.

One reason I was put off by the monster, was the money grubbing attitude assumed by Ducati. This is a quote straight from their page. "A Ducati Performance customizing catalogue is standard equipment with your new Monster." This indicates that they want you to spend more money on an already overpriced machine (that has a basically 13 year old design (I read that somewhere)). Coupled with the overpriced maintenance ($600 US after 600 miles), and the fact that it comes with a catalytic converter (reads Horsepower eater) that you have to upgrade exhaust ($1800) to get rid of. This sent me running, screaming from the showroom. Enough about monsters.

I have yet to hear anyone say they are sorry for getting the S3, and am encouraged by the enthusiasm. Can't wait! Will definitely post up some pics on delivery. By the way, do I need a photo server to do that, or does this site support photo's?

Thanks All

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-07-29 07:17, MadMac wrote:
...and the fact that it comes with a catalytic converter (reads Horsepower eater) that you have to upgrade exhaust ($1800) to get rid of.
You probably don't want to hear this, but the 05 S3 also has a Catastrophic Converter built into it's mufflers. The Triumph Off-road exhaust option ($700 or so) is more or less just the factory muffler w/o this.

But there's starting to be lots of other exhaust options.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, and half the price of the Duc system.

Does "offroad" mean "race" or "not street legal" in UK speak?

Sorry, I am just an ignorant american.

[ This message was edited by: MadMac on 2005-07-29 08:03 ]

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Welcome, MadMac. I know you'll enjoy the bike.

I question the '06 designation a bit, but we'll see once it arrives.

(So far as I know, the only thing they've said officially about next year's models is the early change in year designator for the Tiger and announcement of a limited production run of 2006 Speed Fours. I'd be greatly surprised if any dealer is supposed to have, let alone be allowed to display, an '06 Bonnie or Triple yet. But I could be behind the times.)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
> Does "offroad" mean "race" or "not street legal" in UK speak?

Means the same in American speak, too. :)

It's a generic term to cover all uses of a bike other than street riding...track, trail riding, whatever. Emission and noise standards are looser for machines intended exclusively those non-street-legal applications.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I traded in my Tiger last weekend on a Black 2006 S3, and am eagerly awaiting it's arrival. They said anytime from now to next week.

I've wanted an S3 ever since I first saw one back in 2001, and when the '05 came out I KNEW I had to have one. Really looking forward to it.

Anyone know if there is a way to just pull the catastrophic converters out of the stock cans?

-Rob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Diego,
I was skeptical also about the '06, but the dealer assured me that they were sold out of '05, and that the next shipment was '06. I posed some '06 specific questions to the dealer, and he asked the rep who was in the shop yesterday, and they were both fully expecting the '06. I'll definitely let you know when it actually gets here though.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just called my local dealer and the sales guy told me that 06 S3s probably wouldnt be in until after september. Some guy was supposed to be in to pick up thier last 05 S3 today.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-07-29 10:42, Rubbus wrote:

Anyone know if there is a way to just pull the catastrophic converters out of the stock cans?
Anythings possible, but perhaps not practical.

You should check out This Thread

You can do it the easy way or the hard way, and both ways won't give you much more in the way of horsepower. Just a noisier exhaust.

Save your pennies and buy a good aftermarket exhaust. There are lots of good ones available, and better ones coming every day.

Staintune 05 Speed Triple Exhaust:

They claim a 9 horsepower increase.

[ This message was edited by: crashmasterd on 2005-07-29 17:59 ]

·
Registered
231 Posts
I might as well piggyback onto your "1st post" thread. Just picked up my bike in the 18th, haven't stopped smiling.

People definately stare at me also. I believe there can't be more than 10 S3's in the whole state (and only three '05's.)

Time to get rid of the SV.... (I can barely look at it now.)

·
Banned
48 Posts
beauty is in the eye of the beholder. i don t really like the look of the staintune. it sort of makes the 05 look like any other s3. it did, however, make me take the jump into the triumph cans and that should reduce the muffled (duh) feeling i get from my stock cans. i like the look i have now w out all four heat shields and bike prob has enough power now anyway for me. if i want to get freaky later, i may go for porting/polishing etc. i had done on my 98 t bird and got 20 dyno ed hp. i was disappointed in mpg reduction though. keep sacrificing $ to the mcyc gods.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts