Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

After not riding for 10 years I just bought a '99 speed triple with 20k on it. I've looked around this forum but I wanted to ask if there is anything specific about maintenance I should keep my eyes out for.

This is my first Triumph and I am psyched.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
171 Posts
seelivemusic

Welcome to the coolest club on earth. 20,000 miles I'd find out when the valves were adjusted last if at all and check the usual wear and tear items ie. sprockets and chain. possibly have a dealer do a service on it to inspect the wheel bearings and stuff like that if your worried. I am not sure off the top of my head about any problems specific to that year but I'm sure that someone will chime in if there are any soon.
Enjoy your speedie, ride fast and take chances.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thats Great Bro Glade your back in the saddle:cool:

I recommend getting to know your bike and do your own maintenance!!! Shops Suck you can do it just as good No dought i my Mind,,,,

I have an 09 S3 and the maintenance section says to check the following!

I would get a manual for your year bike.

What the book says for 18000 miles is to check:

Drive chain - lubricate Every 200 miles,I Clean mine every 500 or 600 miles this will depend on your area of Travel....Mine being mostly asphalt... More dirt roads would make Cleaning sooner...
Drive chain - Wear Check Every 500 miles
Drve chain slack Check / Adjust
Drive rubbing strip - Check
Rear wheel bearing - lubricate Thats at 12,000 and 24,000 then again at 30,000
fastners - inspect visually for Security
Wheels - inspect for damage
Tire wear/tire damage - check
tire pressure - check /adjust
Clutch Cable - check / adjust

On secondary air injection systems - check

stand - Check / adjust

secondary exhaust clamp bolts - check / adjust
Fuel and evaporative loss* hoses - Renew Thats at 24,000

Only thing i don't see listed that i would check is the steering head for Play.....

Good Luck with the new Ride Play it safe when out, later silentrider

·
Registered
171 Posts
I said somebody with the year would be here soon with a list of bullet points or specific problems to that year. thats all.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I said somebody with the year would be here soon with a list of bullet points or specific problems to that year. thats all.
:D Oh OK LOL actually i thought your "Chech the valves" was a Good call....

That should be one of the main things Checked IMHO... good call :cool:

my bike is an 09 but the list of things to check should be about the same.....

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thats about right, the manuals havent changed to much from year to year. Just not sure of any known qwerks for that year like the '02 transmission problems. Rock on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, thanks a bunch for the info. Like anything else I own I will try to do the maintenance myself within limits.

I cannot put into words how psyched I am for this bike, well I guess I don't really need to. Now to find a job where the sun shines 365 days.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Couple of issues:
There was a clutch cable problem--prone to breaking up by the lever. Also, male fuel connectors going into the tank. The plastic ones were replaced by Triumph w/metal. If they're not leaking, leave well enough alone, but if you ever have to take off the tank you'll have problems if they weren't replaced. One other thing--some vin numbers around that time had a factory recall re: the rear wheel bearings. Check this forum as all these have been extensively discussed. Good luck, you're in for a great ride!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Now thats good Info and what he was asking for mostly I feel... great reply 2bugeyez :cool:

I Know how ya feel about the bike Bro!

This 09 S3 is my first ever Triumph...

and I Love it !!! has all the torque you'll ever Need !!!

I have a 07 FZ-1 also,That i made into the FZ-1N by installing the Burlington Headlight Kit,,,Awesome Bike ! Comfy is the main word it's what i refer to as my Cruiser But in Nekid form!

But as i mentioned in other Threads My S3 is my Hooligan Bike :D

Even after Changing the sprockets on my FZ-1N to 16/46 The S3 Still walks the dog on the Fizzer... But the Fizzer is comfy king so i got it covered on both ends....

I'm 6'1" 265 lbs and my 09 will loft the front tire with just a roll of the Throttle I Love it .........I'm Not a Fat Boy either,No gut ,Just a Big arse Red Neck LOL

The rides not bad either,i put 318 miles on it the other day, One Ride,Left around 8:00 am and got back around 4:00, My Buddy on his 07 SV-1000 and Me on my S3 We had a Great ride From Yulee to Ocala national forest Through St.augastine and back 60 to 80 mph with several Triple digit Burst :D

The Plus side was i didn't have to worry about the fuel I was getting 50 + mpg and he was around 40 to 45 mpg,so i could really Enjoy the ride cause his fuel light would come on and he was map man so i just played Wing man :~) and he lead and planned for fuel stops,Your gonna love that bike specially around town!

Triples are Great bikes you made a Great Investment! In the Fun factor...

Sorry for the Rant LOL I'm having a couple beers,I just sent In the Pay- off for my Speedy,I've been waiting for my Tax return and just mailed it In ,'m In happy land today for sure :~) mail me My title Beotch LOL I traded my 07 M109R In for My Speedy and had the left over money financed 6 month same as cash ....Paid In full...Today !!!Woooo Hooooooo Pass me another Beer Hoomie :~)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi welcome...

I have a 97 model with 34k on the clock and is in amazing condition.

I bought mine last week and took it straight to my triumph dealer to check any outstanding recalls (i wouls suggest you do the same unless it is logged in the service book) and mine had not had the fuel connectors done so they booked it in to change them for free.

One thing i do is always change the oil and filter when i buy a bike even if the previous owner says it was changed recently. My dealer says at that mileage the MObil 4T 15w50 fully synthetic is best. I have justed changed the oil and filter and it has made the bike sound much quieter. I also did this when i had my sprint and it made that a bit quieter too.

The sprint i had i maintained myself and did a full service and found it actually quite easy if you are good diy person it should be straight forward.

Safe riding.

p.s. One other point if you do your own servicing, Keep a record sheet of what you do and a list of the parts and costs with receipts for parts attached to a print out. Place this in the service book as a permanent record in case you sell it on. (better than nothing at all)

·
Registered
204 Posts
One thing i do is always change the oil and filter when i buy a bike even if the previous owner says it was changed recently. My dealer says at that mileage the MObil 4T 15w50 fully synthetic is best. I have justed changed the oil and filter and it has made the bike sound much quieter. I also did this when i had my sprint and it made that a bit quieter too.
I Agree with this 1000000%

Do your Own oil changes and Change the oil according to your riding style more than Miles....Meaning if you Beat the heck out of it Change the oil sooner ,but if you ride it like your going to church everyday Which Isn't a bad Thing :) Then You could Just follow the Book .....

Just a Note: On the oil Changes ,this is the First Bike i have seen that has what i call correct torque spec's for the Filter and Drain Plug!!! Just a Note ! and the CC's are dead on 1050 my Yammy is 998 i want my other 2 cc's LOL
most other bikes give High torque numbers as torque for the drain plug ,but I have always believed this to be a mistake on their part...The Number they give I Believe are for Dry Threads! after you change the oil ,the threads are no longer dry, so their numbers are To high which is why so many people strip The oil plugs out IMHO It's not their fault....Aluminum is Soft!

New Oil will always make the motor Quieter,Due to it no being broke down yet by hours of riding and Multible heat cycles IMHO

Checking for the Re=calls is more Great Info Does this site Rock Or what :D
later Silentrider :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow, looks like I found the right forum for my "new" speed triple! Thanks for all the replies, I've found a Triumph dealer a few miles away and will bringing my new baby there in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Now that I have a new bike, I of course need a new helmet. My trusty full face Bell is pretty much toast. Any recommendations, I have a 300-400 US$ budget as my melon is pretty important to me. Fancy graphics are not important to me and I've been told to get a bright color for safety purposes.

Its snowing here, grrrr.

Thanks,

Todd

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I love my Arai's. Depending on the shape of your head, there are many models available. You can get solid colors for around 400 bucks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just got a Bell Apex that I like a lot, plus the blue matches my bike although not a huge fan of the double cross, WCC type look.

I also like Scopion helmets, the Exo-200, although not a full face, is a pretty nice helmet. A very wide range of vision, a buddy has a scorpion Exo-700 which he likes, but has raved about the Exo-1000, the Scorpion's fit small though so buy a size larger.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts