Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
So I joined last year when my Uncle offered me his Legend because at 91yrs. he figured it was time to let it go. This was Sept, 2019. Thus starts my journey through Oregons DMV. We could not find the Title so I call up dmv for a replacement and just let me say the agents in the Salem office were great help in this saga.
First phone call I give VIN # and they identify the bike but they say my Uncle is not the person on their title record. WHAT! I say he bought it brand new and have the cancelled check and paperwork(so I thought) to prove it and he has been insuring and riding it for 15yrs. I ask can you give me the name on Title so I can sort this out and I get "no it is confidential". They did eventually tell me that my Uncles' first name and birth date are identical to the person on the title. I end the call and go through the paper work to see if I can find a mistake and I notice that although my Uncle has copies of all the proper forms they were never actually properly submitted to DMV. I call back talk to a really helpful person and they say well send us all the paperwork proof of purchase etc. and we look at it. That took 5 weeks and the response - a bill of sale is required from the other party on the title and they give me his name. Why could they have not told me that when I first called, oh well such are governments everywhere. I call DMV and ask can you get in touch with this person so this can be sorted out? No is the answer, I say you have all the info how am I to find him then? through the internet I guess is the answer I receive, so on the net I go. Believe it or not I found him except he died in 2015, now what? So along with this info I found came a couple telephone numbers. First I call DMV back and say I am sorry to say that the person on the title has died, what now? I now need to find the heir to the estate and get them to sign a release form and have it notarized to cede any claim to the bike and a death certificate is also required, gee no problem. So to the phone I go I call the first one and it is out of service but the second one is good, it is a daughter-in-law. She is very nice and helps me tremendously, I get the name and phone number of the estate executor and guess what he lives about 30 minutes away from me in Surrey and I am in Burnaby.(Canada). I call and he is also very helpful and puts me in touch with the daughter who is heir to the estate., and I just made it because he was leaving for Mexico and not coming back for a few months. Whew! Anyway I correspond with daughter I send her the forms and she even helps get the death certificate and I get all the stuff back and send it off to Oregon DMV Nov,2019. Hurray! Feb 05, 2020 my Uncle gets the new title in the mail, I fill out and send all the required paper work to U.S. Customs and anytime after Feb,17,2020 I get to bring the bike home, only took about 6 months, I had nothing but time anyway it was winter after all.
Thanks for letting me tell my tale.
Bob

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Hello, welcome to the site.
Bob, that was quite an adventure to get this sorted. You sound like you rolled with it better than I would have.
Now that you have it all legal you better like the bike. ;)

I hope you find this Triumph site to be a great place to meet and talk all Triumph bikes with a great bunch of riders.

Everyone here is very willing to help with any issues or concerns with your bike. This is really a great bunch of riders very willing to help other riders.

Cruise around the different sections and find where you fit comfortably. There are tech sections for each of the many models of Triumphs and chat sections for the same. Also we have a great classifieds section that is well worth checking out.

If you want to just hang out and shoot the breeze the “Biker Hang-Out” Chat Section will be the place to stop in.

If you haven't already please fill out your profile. It helps others to know what you ride and where on the planet you are located.

I hope you enjoy the site. The moderators are here to help if you have questions or concerns. Thanks for joining the Triumph Rat Family.

Here is a link to the rules of the site and the classifieds. I recommend that you take a few minutes to read through them.

Acceptable Use Policy

Acceptable Use Policy (AUP)

Classified Ad Rules - Read first before placing Ad

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I’d jump through a lot of hoops for a Triumph Legend. Beautiful bikes, be sure and post some pics.
Welcome from Jax Fl

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bob, please don't keep me in suspenders! How on earth did this other person get involved, who has the same first name and birth date as your uncle. More info urgently needed!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am most certainly going enjoy the crap out of this bike and I am in seamed challenged so when I sat on it "o yeah, I like this". I have already taken notes for some upgrades. I had no idea this scenario was about to unfold. I had already sold my Norge 1200 gt because it was becoming to much for around town trips, most of the guys I know and traveled with have already stopped any trips of any consequence. So I was at the time looking at a couple of sprint 955 st's and my uncle calls and asks if I would be interested in any of his riding gear and I can come and get it if I so choose. I went down to see him and he says he is trying to sell the legend but he feels he is being taken advantage of by the offers he had recieved so I told him I would love to have it and he said well then take it, it's yours and I said nope I'll pay, that's only fair and that began my journey. I do have some suspicions about what happened with the title just by listening to what has been said but I decided to leave it alone and just jump through what ever DMV hoops I had to, like I said, it was the end of the riding season here and winter was coming so time wasn't important. I will see if I can add a photo. These are a photo of a photo so a little grainy.

legend 1.jpg legend 2.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will add that he did not accept my offer to pay him until I told him if I don't pay him something the border customs will value the bike for taxes so lets not give them free rein to do anything.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
Welcome to the forum from a fellow Guzzisti and fellow Bob, Bob. Brilliant story and after all those shenanigans you've already got a ready-made connection to the bike without turning a wheel!
Cheers
Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts