Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 1999 Triumph Legend in sight and wondered if anyone out there has any good or bad pointers before I finalise the deal. Has it by any chance the same starter problems as the 1st generation Speed Triples? Any pros or cons appreciated.
Gordon

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I have a 1999 Legend with 43,000 miles on it and there have been no problems.

As Scot said you might want to change out your coils. Mine went bad at about 35,000 miles and it was a good excuse for me to upgrade to Nology.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had mine for a year and thoroughly enjoy it.
One consideration is your height. The Legend has the lowest seat height of the classic triples. At times the muscles just below my hips tend to cramp up because of the somewhat cramped position of the legs. I'm 5-10" but sixty years old, so those muscles will get regular stretching before next season.
I'm not giving her up!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah, it should be a good bike. You might want to change out coils, that is about it. Great starter project bike for customizing!

How many miles? Maintenance history?
26500 miles, the bike is at a Triumph dealer who I know. 1 previous owner and all services carried out.

Gordon

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had mine for a year and thoroughly enjoy it.
One consideration is your height. The Legend has the lowest seat height of the classic triples. At times the muscles just below my hips tend to cramp up because of the somewhat cramped position of the legs. I'm 5-10" but sixty years old, so those muscles will get regular stretching before next season.
I'm not giving her up!
Thanks your reply. I'm 5.11 and 64 and have been riding a Speed Triple for the last year. Apart from starter motor problems, the low handlebars present a problem, numb fingers. But I plan on touring the UK next year and am interested in a more relaxed position. Not to mention the panniers available for the Legend. Difficult to place on the Triple due to the angle of the exhausts.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1999 Legend - coils

Nah, it should be a good bike. You might want to change out coils, that is about it. Great starter project bike for customizing!

How many miles? Maintenance history?
Are the coils prone to failure?
Gordon

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
If you're 5'11, the bike may be a little cramped for you. I'd ride it for a while to feel it out.

If you buy it, you'll definitely need some sort of highway bars with footpegs.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
"Are the coils prone to failure?"

Oh yeah!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Replacement pegs

I, too, have a 99 Legend, and my advice is to switch the Triumph footpegs for some from Kuryakyn. You'll find a thread on here somewhere about this. They give you an additional 1/2" or so, and while that might not sound like much, it definitely made my hips feel better. I absolutely love this bike, but my hips take some time each Spring to get limbered back up. Definitely the best mid life crisis a fellow could ever have!:)

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Are the coils prone to failure?
Gordon
Well, it it subject for a bit of debate here, but they do fail more regularly on the 99 -2001 models. The Gill coils on these years are weaker and don't seem to like the charging system much! You also need to check you fluid levels in the battery regularly or it may boil dry (or go to an AGM type).

Many folks have replaced them with a Nology coil as a result. Stronger, and with better output

·
Registered
113 Posts
I also have a 99 Legend. I am 5'7'' and have a difficult time finding a bike (that is not a cruiser) that fits. 30" seat height is about as much as I can do. This bike fits me like a glove. Bike might be a little cramped for someone 5'11". I dream about having long legs and being able to touch the ground on a supermoto bike like a Tiger. A Tiger with hard bags might be a better option for touring.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I think it's worth mentioning that a lot (most imo) of the Legend low seat height derives from the rear suspension links & smaller diameter rear tyre. So the seat to footrest ergos are not very different to the Thunderbird. If you've long legs & find it a little cramped, there's likely a few options (2 places I can think of) for treating yourself to a custom seat made with higher foam and/or a gel pad. (Worth it for better distance comfort too.)

I had bad coils, fitted Nology items - perfect. Apart from that all is good - mechanicals rock solid & very capable of high mileages. Just buy a spare throttle cable as these do fail a bit at the carb end, somewhat due to hamfisted installing on a carb lever that isn't designed for ease of fitting.

The Legend is a real gem, supposedly more cruiser than the Tbird but the handling I think is even better. Maybe due to 17" wheels front & rear which also give a fantastic choice of rubber. Like many here I've done some very basic mods like K&N filter & freer flowing exhaust plus Dynojet needles in my case - very easy 10hp extra & more pull at all revs & the chassis is well able for enjoying that power in the twisties. (If you search my posts here for 'video' you'll find some on bike footage taken in Italian Dolomites this year. Note clocks are not stock - off a Trophy via ebay....bike is 99 Legend.) Clocked 125mph (& confirmed revs/speed with gearing calc) on mine, +2t on the front sprocket, 7,600rpm & still accelerating before I backed off. Pefectly stable but road was wet & even motorways have bends at that speed ;).

Welcome to the forum :)
Mike

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've had my 2000 Legend for about 5 years - wonderful bike. The addition of the King & Queen seat helped on the longer rides - extra foam or gel pad on a stock seat would do the same. Found the stock bars to uncomfortable but fitted flatter bars, fly screen, and bar end mirrors - more comfortable, a bit more retro-looking, and good rear visibility. No troubles with the coils so far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have had my 2001 legend TT for a year and have logged 20,000. Now have 35000 miles. I did have a problem with a misfire; turned out to be some of the elcetricl junctions were not making good contact. A good cleaning and it went away.

Mine was a theft recover and my wheels were out of round and missing some rear spokes. Could not tell they were missing, the tips in the cush hubs had broken off and the bike was rough running. After getting that sorted out, its been a jewel. hated the orginal bars and changed them. I have made a lot of other changes; see My Highly Modified Thunderbird. but no changes to the motor which operates flawlessly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where did you get bars?

I've had my 2000 Legend for about 5 years - wonderful bike. The addition of the King & Queen seat helped on the longer rides - extra foam or gel pad on a stock seat would do the same. Found the stock bars to uncomfortable but fitted flatter bars, fly screen, and bar end mirrors - more comfortable, a bit more retro-looking, and good rear visibility. No troubles with the coils so far.
I would like to replace the handlebars on my 99 Adventurer. Just a couple of inches too short for comfort. Doesn't this involve getting new cables for length? Where did you get the bars?

Also trying to find air filter replacement. I remember reading a few years ago about how expensive a stock air filter is for this bike. Also seems like I recall that replacing air filter is difficult.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts