Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally picked up the Legend and have it home. The bike has been sitting for awhile and stuck in neutral so I am guessing the plates are stuck together from lack of fluid. I am assuming the cover is going to come off and I am going to pull the pressure plate and discs to sort this out. Why does the manual tell me to drain the engine oil? Do the clutches not have their own oil which I figured would drain when I pull the cover.
Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, did some research and apparently a common problem if the bike sits. I guesstimate mine has been sitting about 5yrs or better. I can hear a mechanical sound of what I presume is the pressure plate moving when I pull the clutch in and let it out. Will try some of the advise given on other threads and see if I can sort this out. Still my question is do the clutch plates get the from the engine?
Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should always proof read.. does the clutch use the engine oil for lubrication? Okay, I'll answer my own question, yes it does. Should have thought about it a bit more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking the opposite of you when I got my Harley, "it does not use the same oil and I have to change 3 oils, ***?"

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
Yes, the clutch uses the same oil as the engine (and transmission). Make sure you use an oil with the correct rating: JASO-MA or -MA2.

If the clutch plates are stuck, you should still be able to get the bike in gear by rocking it as you apply pressure to the shift lever. Pulling the clutch lever will not disengate the clutch, however. You can usually free it up by putting the bike in first, pulling the clutch, and rocking the bike back and forth. This assumes the hydraulics are actually operating the release mechanism.
Should always proof read..
Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right of your post. Choose "Edit"...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that little nugget about the three dots. I took the fill plug out and watched the pressure plate move when I used the lever but the clutch plates didn't so I know it is working. first three plates that can be seen through the fill hole are loose with a little wiggle with my fingers, so not to bad, the inboard plates are still stuck. I Ordered a gasket and will just take the clutch apart.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Seriously, listen to wsc His method worked on a 1980 gs1100 I once bought that had been sitting for 9 years

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
You should try the advice WSC gave about rocking it back and forth in gear with the clutch lever pulled. The clutches on the T-3 Triumphs are rumored to be very robust.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should try the advice WSC gave about rocking it back and forth in gear with the clutch lever pulled. The clutches on the T-3 Triumphs are rumored to be very robust.
Yes I have tried rocking the bike back and forth in first gear and second gear, still no luck though. I'll keep working at it.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Bummer, keep at it though as it could break free. Have you tied the clutch lever to the handlebar releasing the pressure on the clutch while the bike sits? Maybe do that as well?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Clutch is not hard to disassemble. I have done it a few times in the past (I have over 100k on my Sprint, which is basically the same engine.) I just got a T-Bird and the clutch sticks every time it's been parked for more than a week, so I'm going to take it apart and put it back together. That's usually all it takes. If you do the job with the bike on its side-stand you don't lose much oil (because it's all over there on the other side of the engine.). If you take the plates out, spray them down with Brake-Kleen, Scrub the plain plates with a Brillo pad, and put everything back together just the way you found it, it should do the job. While you have it apart, keep your eye open for anything broken. Check the tabs on the clutch plates and the slots in the clutch basket for notching. Notched tabs and baskets will cause the clutch plates to stay locked together. It's getting near the end of winter and I still want to :
Pull the clutch apart and put it back together;
Change the oil;
Check/adjust valve clearances;
Install a centre stand;
Install new plugs;
Synch the carbs;
Install a Scottoiler.
I guess I had better get cracking.
Bill Snyder

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got around to this task as the temp was about 50 deg. The bike has been clearly sitting longer than I thought. Took it all apart and everything was completely stuck together. Pried everything apart with a little wedgy thing and soaked the one set of clutch discs in the oil I drained and sanded the other set to clean them up, got it all back together and Yippy! I can now shift the transmission without stalling the bike.
Thanks for all the advice.
Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts