Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Back again with another Trophy 1200. I thought the newer they are the less problems I will get.

The problem is when the bike is started from cold it will start to cut out. If I hold it at 2000rpm it will drop "Sharply" to 1000 or 500 Like its going off a cylinder. Then jump back up.

Once its warm it fine. Any ideas? I blame the colour its silver.

Mike

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi all. Back again with another Trophy 1200. I thought the newer they are the less problems I will get.

The problem is when the bike is started from cold it will start to cut out. If I hold it at 2000rpm it will drop "Sharply" to 1000 or 500 Like its going off a cylinder. Then jump back up.

Once its warm it fine. Any ideas? I blame the colour its silver.

Mike

yep, the silver ones will do that!

seriously, check the electrical leads to the coils , both goin in and coming out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

Thanks I will do that.
I forgot to say in the morning it ran O.K. only after 20+ miles did it play up. Starting from cold.

Rode 20 more miles had dinner same problem from cold. Tried again after 20more miles still the same cutting out.

Its also stutterting at very slow speed. Sitting in trafic you open the throtle...nothing then bang it goes.

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photo

Here is a photo of the problem. As you can clearly see it,s Silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
348 Posts
Clearly the only solution is to paint her a better color, Pacific Blue perhaps, Isn't thr fastest color but I like it!

·
Registered
653 Posts
When starting cold does the engine fire quickly or does it seem to take longer before she "hits"?
If it takes a while I would check the choke cable adjustment and watch the plungers move on all carburators.
Have you tried any carb cleaner fuel additive? Maybe something is gummed up inside the carb.
Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rubber fetish

As usual I have had to strip the thing down. Guess what I have found the usual problems.For the third time.
Carb rubbers starting to doze,
Coil contacts coated in grease,
Airfilter blocked,Plugs covered in soot.
strange but the fuel tap seems to work.

So its new rubber,plugs,filter,oil,oilfilter,and carb clean.

That should fix it. But not the colour.

Mike

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Miss fire

Having replaced all the usual things. I cleaned all the filters, Put it back together again and it miss fires.

I pulled the plugs and No4 was black the rest were O.K.
Im going to buy some leads to see if that helps.
Or a coil if I have no luck

One issue I had during the rebuild is I had to remove the left hand coil and im second guessing myself, have I got the wires the right way round. Ive got the green one nearest the frame and the yellow on the right as you sit on the bike. Its a 1999.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Having replaced all the usual things. I cleaned all the filters, Put it back together again and it miss fires.

I pulled the plugs and No4 was black the rest were O.K.
Im going to buy some leads to see if that helps.
Or a coil if I have no luck

One issue I had during the rebuild is I had to remove the left hand coil and im second guessing myself, have I got the wires the right way round. Ive got the green one nearest the frame and the yellow on the right as you sit on the bike. Its a 1999.
Look at this piccy:

(Click on image for larger view)

Note the + and - signs and the wire colours. Both sides are identical. Don't actually know if polarity is important, but this is as per factory (2002, but I believe they're all the same).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the photo.

Thankyou very much For the photo, You have put my mind at rest.
Im off to the dealers on Thursday to collect a coil and a set of leads.

£74.+vat and Shock horror £65+vat for the leads. I feel violated!

Mike

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thankyou very much For the photo, You have put my mind at rest.
Im off to the dealers on Thursday to collect a coil and a set of leads.

£74.+vat and Shock horror £65+vat for the leads. I feel violated!

Mike

Mike,

For any future coils replacements the get them from motobins part number 70506 as they`re only charging £27.50 for a twin output PVL coil that triumph themselves fitted as standard.

I`m sure they could supply HT leads as well to suit as they sell these coils.

http://www.motobins.co.uk/displayfinal.php?function=show&subs=191&title=IGNITION+COILS

Cheers, Matt :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts