Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you for info on #1 coil controlling tach. Does anyone have a good lead on replacement coils (reasonably priced) for this model? I’m in Vermont, USA. Also looking for a set of front turn signals hopefully original equipment. Thank you, Bill

·
Registered
903 Posts
Have you considered going to stick coils? They work great on 900 engines. You can pick up a set of used stick coils on eBay from a 1600 Thunderbird for the price of one used 900 coil on Ebay. Also on the bright side you won't have to use spark plug wires.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Everybody seems to have thier pet idea (some say Nology, some stick coils) when it comes to replacing the poor quality coils that came on these bikes. The last time I did this job I went to Ebay and bought some inexpensive, no name coils for about $36 each. They worked just as well as the expensive ones at about 1/3 the cost of the Nology's I put on my other bike. They have been in there 5-6 years. I'm not hung up on brand names. All it has to do is spark when it is told to. …J.D.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply’s on the coils . Bought 3 from niche supply 31 bucks apiece. Maybe that will take care of intermittent tach problem.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yeh. My garage find, 900 Legend had the "Wacky-Tachy" thing going on along with misfiring and hard starting. Probably why the previous owner parked it. Three new coils solved all that. ...J.D.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
No. It is just the tach acting up while the engine RPM remains normal. Like I said, this does not ALWAYS happen with coil problems, but it is an indication of problems in the primary (low voltage) side of the ignition. ...J.D.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
No matter how you deal with replacing the coils you need to check out Sprint Manufacturing. I buy most of my parts there. The shipping cost is negligible and they deliver twice as quickly as my nearest Triumph dealer. Recently it seemed convenient to order an ignition pick up coil from the dealer. I got tired of waiting and ordered one from Sprint which came in four days. I kept the one I ordered from the dealer, which came two weeks later, since it's such a common breakdown part. I've never run the Nology coils but I have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I delt with Sprint Mfg. once. I needed a cam chain tensioner spring for my old 900 Sprint and they were the only place I could find it at the time. The shipping from GB to Southern California was almost as much as the part. Depends on where you are in the world. No complaints otherwise. ...J.D.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts