Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 TBS, started and ran good, went to gas station, filled up, turn key ignition to on, no headlight, neutral, oil light and won't start. The turn signals are the only thing that works. Checked fuses, they are all good and all connections are plugged in. Battery is showing 13.25 volts. Service manual says there is an inline fuse but unable to locate. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,308 Posts
Ignition switch. The turn signals are on a separate set of contacts. You can try flipping the key on and off a few times, but it could have just given up the ghost. Even if you get it to work, it won't last long. On the switch itself it's the white wire connecting to the brown wire.

You can check for power on the brown wire where it comes into the fuse box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey Charlieo, like John said it sounds like it is most likely the ignition switch. The same thing happened to my 98 T Bird a couple years ago. Check out this thread i created when i was trying to figure out what happened. LINK

I had good luck rebuilding the switch by cleaning and soldering the contact points to build them back up. It's been a few years and a few thousand miles since it happened with no issues. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information all and the Haynes wiring diagram, which was better than the OEM service manual. Read somewhere on this forum, how to remove and repair the ignition switch without taking the top triple clamp off with pics but have been topic was removed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Before taking the switch apart I would try a new battery or borrow one to try. I had one read 12-13 volts with a meter but had no current and the bike seemed dead, no lights or anything.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well guys, finally got the TBS running again. It has been down since March, and rode my Indian for the summer. Checked the clutch, sidestand and neutral switch to no avail. Bought a switch from a Sprint/Trophy on ebay with 1500 miles, switch is like new but did not line up as the mounting ears were straight across and the TBS are angled. Plugged the Sprint/Trophy switch in to make sure that was the problem and started right up. Didn't have to take the top triple clamp off, removed headlight and gauges and ground down the security bolts for the switch with a dremel. Tore the TBS switch apart and found the white wire was broken to the switch. Soldered that and all the others wires to make sure everything was good to go. Also soldered one of the terminals, as it was worn down. Had to purchase a new neutral switch as I over tightened it. Installed the new one and neutral light was not turning on, tightened it till the light came on. Was good to go, after I got the bike running it would flicker and tightened little more till neutral light was steady. Now for the weather to warm up again. Thanks for all the replies

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts