Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am working on a 1998 Daytona T595 that has been sitting in storage for several years and now won't start.

I have cleaned out the gas tank, injectors, and whole fuel system and filled with fresh gas. Replaced spark plugs and installed a new battery. I have checked all the fuses and relays. It has oil that needs to be changed, but was waiting for that until I got it running. From searching this site I have found it has the older white ground block. It turns over fine and will run momentarily with a bit of starting fluid. The CEL does stay on all the time if that helps any. However I have only got it to run for a few seconds at most. I am just wondering what else I could be overlooking. It is a clean bike with just over 2000 miles on it. I'm thinking it's in the fuel system but can't seem to track it down. The fuel pump is working. What am I missing?

FWIW I am a motorcycle mechanic, but this is my first triumph to tackle. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
cmatte, Since it runs on starter fluid the spark is likely okay. One item that should be checked (actually two) is whether the fuel lines inside of the tank are still connected to the fuel filter. The fuel filter is the other possibility. The plate on the RHS where the fuel lines couple will need to be removed. Do not overtighten during reassembly.

The CEL can be anything at this point...

Brad

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Welcome to TrimphRat.net

... The CEL does stay on all the time if that helps any. However I have only got it to run for a few seconds at most. ....
If you have access to an OBD reader you can pull the codes and see - you should find the connector near the battery.
But as Brad says, could be anything. One possible cause however would be since you were working with tank - if ignition turned on with pump disconnected at any time, that will throw a CEL.
Even if problem no longer current, most CEL events will stay on through three full warm-up/cool-down cycles before extinguishing the lamp (but code will remain in memory through 40 cycles)

They definitely don't like ANY throttle when starting, so keep the right hand off that. Once plugs are fouled, they can be a pig to start so I would look at the plugs again. While they're out, you might check that you're getting good spark off each coil.

When you say 'cleaned injectors' were they actually removed & sent out for clean & cal or ???

Also agree with Brad on fact that it is firing means that your ignition circuit must be good with no interlocks inhibiting the basic operation (like alarm interlock or similar).

'Ground' block could definitely be a source of problem.

Incidentally we just picked up a Sprint that hadn't been started in 5 years - cleaned/refreshed gas tank, flushed oil, inspected & replaced (original) plugs and turned engine over by hand a few times (while plugs out) - and she started right up! Did nothing with injectors and it idles & revs really smooth.

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Also - not sure how critical this is - the manual shows the bottom pump connection is the outflow and goes to the right side of the injector rail, with the return coming back from the left side to the top coupler. I have no idea to be honest what the consequence of reversing the flow through the rail would do, if anything.

As Brad will surely also echo, these idle systems on this generation can be a bit troublesome - but at worst it should start and possibly idle high if issues there. So I wouldn't be too concerned with the idle control until after its running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the responses. I'll def check these things out.

And all I did to clean the injectors was soak the nozzle of them in a gas/injector cleaner mix. I don't think they needed it but was done just to make sure. They def looked clean. I'll recheck the fuel line connections tomorrow, but I know they are hooked up in the same manner as when I started. Looking at the fuel rail though I'm not sure that would be an issue. Seems as one line is a feed and the other a return. The rail just holds the fuel. But I will make sure it is factory.

I'll also look into the fuel filter issue. And now think I know what caused the code. I had hooked a meter to the fuel pump connection to see which pin was +. I then hooked up a 12v power supply to the pump to make sure it was pumping. Which it was. However fuel did come out of one of the hoses without the pump on. The flow def increased when the pump was powered though.

Again thanks for the help. My knowledge is in Harley's, but have worked on a lot of other makes. Harley uses their own error code "format" so we don't have an OBDII scanner. Tool guy comes tomorrow I'll see what he has. I think it's probably something simple I'm overlooking because I'm not as familiar with these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
Just one more thing you can validate - especially as you had these off - a reach, but worth checking.
Coils more likely to get switched than the injectors (if any)

Coil 1 has Brown/Yellow Wire
Coil 2 has Yellow/Blue
Coil 3 has Green/Black
Common (power) is Purple/White

Injector 1 has Yellow/Pink
Injector 2 has Yellow/Purple
Injector 3 has Yellow/Black
Common (power) is Brown/Pink

·
Registered
37 Posts
Although this doesn't completely sound like your problem...the T595 is very sensitive to the adjustment of the crankshaft sensor position gap...1mm...so I would make sure that you have set that correctly so that it doesn't compound any problems you might have.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again thanks for all the help. I got a hold of an OBDII code reader. Here are the codes.

P0201 - Injector Circuit Open Cyl 1
P0202 - " " " Cyl 2
P0203 - " " " Cyl 3
P1201 - Unknown
P1202 - Unknown
P1203 - Unknown

So it looks like something may be unhooked on the injector circuit. I don't have a service manual to look up the other codes. I'm also fairly certain I have everything hooked up that I unhooked. However any suggestions will be most greatly appreciated. I haven't really got a chance to check anything else so far. When I do looks like I'll have quite a list to look over. Thanks.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
21,183 Posts
201/202/203 are injector malfunction
1201/1202/1203 are injector open circuit/short to ground.

Are these current or history?

Again, you may have got these when you had them off for cleaning, if you had ignition on while disconnected
Clear the codes with the scanner and then see if they re-appear when you turn on again.

Power to those inectors comes from the main power relay - that also feeds the camshaft position sensor & the ECM
That could certainly be a possibility.

Main Power relay location -

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
cmatte, I've a German language service manual and I don't speak German, but here's what I've scabbed out of the ckt.

There should be battery (fuse 8) standing on all of the injectors with key on. This battery goes from fuse 8 through the main power relay (MPR) contact. The ECM is powered through the MPR's coil. The injectors are fired through a pulsing ground from the ECM.

Brad

PS At the moment my '98 is in bits and pieces so it's no big deal if you need a stare and compare

PPS I passed through Ardmore twice yesterday visiting my younger daughter attending college in OKC. If you'd posted a couple of days earlier I'd have dropped in...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello. I have yet to look at the bike again. It's a shop bike so it's not a priority. I hope to get a look at it tomorrow. And yeah we're (Longhorn Scooters) right off I-35 just west of the Flying J. So stop by anytime. Well between 9-6 Tu-Fr and Sat 10-4 that is. Thanks again I'll keep ya'll up to date on what I find.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts