Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Wife bought me a (used) '98 Sprint (Executive) for me about 10 years back. It's run like a champ, and I've even gotten used to that bag-of-marbles sound when it's idling. But over the winter this year, the fuel tap finally seized AND the fuel lines started cracking. If any of you happens to own a parts catalogue, and can send me the page with all the fuel lines from tap to carb, and the part# for the tap assy...it would be greatly appreciated.
ALSO...need a reputable used TRIUMPH parts dealer. The twit who sold me fuel hose last autumn sent me garbage that's already disintegrating....in the bag...on the shelf. Canada, US, or Great Britain would be great.

In advance,
Thanks all!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'd suggest bulk 5/16" tygon fuel line. It's thin walled tubing, unlike rubber automotive hose, and is very durable.
Baxter Cycle in Marne, IA, USA has some used parts.

·
Registered
903 Posts
The fuel tap gets stuck every now and then. If you twist the fuel knob real hard one of two things will break. The fuel knob is made of plastic and is designed to break with a hard twist. It's easy and cheap to replace the fuel knob. The other part that will break is the barrel with two little aluminum tabs that turn the plastic fuel barrel inside the petcock. If those tabs break it is time to get another petcock. I haven't found a source for only that aluminum part. Sprint Manufacturing UK sells petcock rebuild kits, but the aluminum barrel is not in the kit.
2WheelPros is a good site for schematics and they also use real Triumph part numbers and prices.
Sailfish is right, 5/16 Tygon is the good stuff. But it has to be the gray Tygon. Motion Pro sells the fuel line, it's kind of pricey. Something like $5 per foot, but it is still cheaper than the Triumph fuel line.
Yes it does sound like a bag of rocks at idle. I installed a Dynojet kit and it quieted it down somewhat.
By the way, what kind of plane is pictured under your name? Is it a P-38?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you rebuild your fuel tap and apply a liberal coating of 'petcock grease' it will operate smoothly.
It's available at your local aviation supply store. Lucky for me one of the best aviation stores, Sporty's, is just a nice ride away from my garage.
Ride On
Dave

·
Registered
315 Posts
5/16" and 8 mm are the same measurement.

You can get a petcock rebuild kit from Sprint Manufacturing for about $35 US, including shipping. Just rebuilt mine, because fuel wouldn't shut off. It includes all parts subject to wear and tear. It won't include any hard parts, so don't break anything taking it apart. But nothing should really break, just don't force anything.

When you're replacing all those fuel lines, replace the vacuum line from the carb to the petcock also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The seals and gaskets you need to "rebuild" the petcock can be sourced at your nearest Kawasaki/Yamaha store if you do a little homework and find their part first.
Sorry it's been too many years since I last did mine so I can' recall the numbers.
Ride On
Dave

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Try Hermy's, in Pennsylvania, US. Good part diagrams.

https://hermys.com/
Hermy's, along with the other dealers, has had bloody awful, completely broken, parts lists for over a year. Just absolutely useless. I won't do business with Bike Bandit anymore because they've screwed up too badly too many times, but I will give them credit where it's due: they have the only usable parts fiche going right now. Look up on BB and buy from Hermy's.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I find Fowlers in the UK have good parts diagrams/part numbers + they will post to Australia at reasonable prices. I have had several dealings with them

I also use their parts diagrams/part numbers to order parts from my local Triumph Dealer here is Australia

Good luck mate

Cheers
Gary

1 - 14 of 14 Posts