Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

My Blue 1996 Trident 750 has a scratch on the petrol tank. I think I can touch it up but I'm not sure of the colour code for the bike. I've looked on the Triumph Website and found a list of colours but how do I find out which blue it is I need?

Any help would be warmly received.

Also ( two questions in one post! ) the side stand on my Trident seems to lean the bike extremely far over. It has a centre stand as well but sometimes its so bloody heavy it would be easier to leave it on the sidestand, but when i put it on it just seems to lean a bit to far. My other bikes have all had centre stands (and been considerably lighter!) so I haven't really had much side stand experience, so I could be panicking. How far should it lean?

I've examined the stand and its not broken, it has a 'foot' on the end, but I'm still not sure. I guess it could have been replaced by a different stand in the past.

Anyone else with a trident feel like measuring theirs (sorry about the phrasing) and we could compare?

Cheers me dears...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Hi,

I am slightly confused as the Triumph sales brochures don't show a blue 750 being available until the last model version (with the "rounded" side panels & oval tail-light - as in your Avatar) and this being the 1998 model year. I guess the 1998 model year would have been sold from late-'97 (but you say yours is a '96). Anyway, this colour was Pacific Blue - suffix JI.

It may be best to take a look inside the side panels or fairing, as you should see the suffix JI with the embosed part numbers. Fyi, the Touch-up Kit for Pacific Blue is part number T3120300-JI.

Side-stand lean:
Some of the later models, such as the Sprint Executive and Trophy (not Tiger as originally typed), have a redesigned side-stand giving a more upright park. Fyi, I have recently got hold of a Grey version of the arm & mounting, but stored it away for the time being. Being grey, I assume it is from a mid-period Trophy. The Sprint Executive ones would be black, to match the engine.

If you get stuck, I can most probably dig around for the part #s. Also, I think our fellow member Mottley (MotT3), has done this mod on his Speed Triple - take a look at his website for his change. (Its a very good site - http://www.mottleybiker.com/page30.htm).

Good luck,
Geoff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GeoffE

Cheers Geoff.

I'm fairly sure I have a 1996, but I could be wrong, I've only had it a couple of months. I'll check the inside the panels and see what it says.....

Thanks again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
If that is the bike in your avatar, it is the same as my 1998 900 Trident. This was ine of the last colour schemes with the oval tail light and more curvy rear. I don't think this version was available in 1996 and I thought the 750 was out of production by this point too. I could be wrong..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it is 1996

Well I checked my documentation and it was definatley first registered in 1996 (and it is an N Reg) but I really managed to convince myself it was 1998 for a while!

I need to check at the weekend for the colour codes on the insideof the panels when I'm (hopefully) fitting my replacement exhaust. I'll measure the sidestand then too. I've seen a few pictures of 900s that are the same colour (but with red Triumph lettering on the tank) so I'll go to the paint shop and see if I can get that T3120300-JI Pacific Blue and have a look at it.

Anybody changed a silencer? just a straight swap for a second hand one off ebay. Quick Job?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Can you get us a bigger picture of the bike? It's hard to tell from your avatar, but that certainly looks like late-'97/'98 bodywork on your bike. That being said, a '98 Trident 750 in blue should have red lettering on the tank & "Trident" with a pitchfork graphic on the side panels. It may be that you have a Trident 750 with Sprint or Trophy bodywork. Most of the stuff out there is Pacific Blue, but Nightshade is also a possibility.

Silencer should be pretty straightforward. IIRC, I ended up replacing the bits that go inside the hanger/around the bolt.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts