Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone-

My 95' Trident had been sitting for a few months. I went to start it today after putting some ethanol treatment into the fresh gas I put in the tank. As I was running the bike up to temperature, I heard some small "whoofs" coming from the exaust. The way I've been told this could be just a dirty combustion chamber, so I figured the new fuel and the treatment would take care of that in a few moments.
As I looked down I noticed a wisp of black smoke coming off of my left exaust pipe. I looked down to see what was burning thinking maybe it was road grime or sawdust from by shop and noticed that the left pipe forward of the chrome was a very dull red. It turns out the wisp of smoke was some of the powder coating melting. Recognizing that as a problem of course, I stopped the engine.
My brain tells me that I'm not getting spark on at least one spark plug, or maybe one of the coil packs is bad. Could the ethanol treatment (Stabil) I put into the gas be playing into this? The bike has never displayed this kind of behavior before; ideas anyone?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Dunno, but mice build nests everywhere. A relative of mine who is a small engine mechanic says that whenever they get a Honda engined lawn mower in the shop that won't run after the winter, he first checks to see if a mouse is tangled up in the cam drive.

It's probably a combination of the stabil in the gas and idling the engine too high and for too long that's overheating your pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts