Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am the original owner of a 1995 Trident with 37000 miles. When I tried starting it this morning it cranked a few times then went completely dead. No lights, no indicators, no clicking, no nothing, dead. I popped it in gear and rolled it around thinking it would wake it up but it is still dead.

Where do I start looking? Battery is good, all electrical has been maintained. Never had it just go completely dark before.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
My, '92 did that it turned out to be a short inside the ignition switch...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Seems to me it has something to do with the ignition key switch. If that switch doesn't get turned on nothing works. Or it could be one of the wires in the loom that goes to the switch. How about the connecting plug where the short ignition loom connects to the main wiring loom.
Greg
1200 Trophy turned into a 1200 Trident

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
How do you know the battery is good? I am not saying it isn't but don't want to overlook anything.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Agreeing with others....load test your battery. You can have 12+ volts, but still be weak. Most Auto parts stores have a tester.

And as has been said, Check all the obvious stuff, ignition switch, kickstand switch, clutch switch. My 95 Daytona had corrosion in the clutch switch interfering with contact. It was intermittant and very confusing before I figured it out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do you know the battery is good? Did you charge it and have it load tested? Google "Yuasa Sudden Battery Death Syndrome". IF it passes a load test - then look to the main fuse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the battery. 3 years old and had a dead short. Must have happened when I tried to start it. Put jumper cables on it and everything came on, cables off and bike went dead.
New sealed battery and l am riding again.

Just seemed odd to have full voltage but nothing worked.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts