Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always read that the Trophy was changed to the new "full on touring" style in 95. However, my 95 Trophy 4 has the single square headlight and older styling. Does anyone have any background on the specifics when this change took place? Was it a mid year change, etc? I've seen pics of a few other 95s with the old fairing.

I do know that my bike was built for one of the Triumph regional reps here in the US.

Thanks,
Mongo

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
96 model year Trophys got new, more touring, oriented ergos. Footpegs were relocated, engine tune was slightly modified for more "grunt" down low, new fairing/windscreen design ("fox-eye dual headlights), mufflers were lowered, seat slightly redesigned, grabrails modified, and panniers were standard in '06. Tranny & chainrings were changed, too, towards more touring, less "sport".

'97 saw slight redesign of windshield (a slight flip was added at the top). Other changes to the external profile/bodywork/mufflers were very minimal (chrome exhaust headers instead of black paint, for example).

'00 (or was it '99?) saw a new upper fairing/new windshield for better weather protection.

Also, somewhere in there the engine changed from grey to black, and with that change, the dipstick went away, to be replaced by a sight glass for checking oil. Keihins were replaced by Mikuni carbs along the way, too, probably when the engine changed from grey to black. And Triumph kept doing minor gear ratio changes and sprocket changes, possibly to gain better gas mileage/better overall performance.

All in all, Triumph Trophy was a very stable design. There are two Trophys, a '91 and a '92, on display in Barber's Vintage Motorsports Museum (Birmingham, AL), and they aren't too terribly different from my '96, which isn't too different from the last '02 (sold as '03) models Triumph produced. The line survived almost unchanged for 12 years! Not a bad track record.

Now, if only Triumph would see fit to roll out another winner for us in the foreseeable future....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts