Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 1995 speed triple. When I turn the key on I have headlights and tail lights, turn signals and horn. But I have no indicator lights and no crank. All fuses in box are good. Any ideas on where to start. Key switch? Thanks Nick

·
Registered
35 Posts
Do the headlights dim when you hit the starter switch, do you hear anything?

If the battery voltage is good, I'd do the easiest thing first. Turn the key to on, MAKE SURE THE BIKE IS IN NUETRAL and jump the bike straight at the positive nut terminal on the starter. If it cranks over you know you have a problem in between.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lights don't dim . No sound from solenoid. Battery voltage is good. Jumping starter is a good idea. Dash/indicator lights should be on when key is turned on and they are not.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lights don't dim . No sound from solenoid. Battery voltage is good. Jumping starter is a good idea. Dash/indicator lights should be on when key is turned on and they are not.
They should be, could possibly be the ignition switch however the lights didn't use to work on mine (switch was ok) and the bike still started. I would jump the starter to bypass the ignition circuit and confirm the starter is good. Then you can eliminate each switch from the equation if it cranks over.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I forget how the T3s do, but that sounds like a later model with the kill switch engaged.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've got a few places to start. It will be a week before I can get to work on the bike. I will report back when I have an answer.

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
808 Posts
Before you start pulling the bike apart ...... Switch the key on and off a couple of times and pull the clutch lever in and out a few times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Right. Sometimes mine will only start if I pull the clutch lever in, even though it's in neutral. Must be an intermittent switch.

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
Right. Sometimes mine will only start if I pull the clutch lever in, even though it's in neutral. Must be an intermittent switch.
I've had that issue too, it is intermittent and tends to catch you unawares...

Before you start pulling the bike apart ...... Switch the key on and off a couple of times and pull the clutch lever in and out a few times.
Don't forget the cut out switch operated by the side stand, it can get a bit sticky too.

·
Registered
19 Speed Twin / 00 TBS
808 Posts
Ok I had a chance to work on the bike tonight. It was the clutch lever intermittent switch. thanks guys
Clutch switches are made by the same guy who does the Christmas crackers.
Anyone know where to get them cheap in the UK? Should always have a spare!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
There can be many reasons! Dodgey battery/loose terminal connections for two! I also suspect the brushes/commutator in the starter motor. I suspect, as I am not sure of the construct of the starter motor. I have pulled all those side stand and clutch switches, and my old girl will sometimes appear to not crank even with a tendered battery. But if I put her in gear, bump start - she will start there after! Plus the actual starter button may have poor contact! The girls can be fickle! Plus in the headlight, the cables are stuffed in there(S3), and there are some multiconnectors in there that can get corroded with humidity and age, an inspection and a little clean with some dielctric grease can inhibit that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts