Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that the swingarm on my 1995 Daytona has a stress fracture in the metal of the eccentric clamp.

Has anyone experienced this/heard of this?

This repairable? IE-can I take this to a welder to repair? Any idea of cost?

If unrepairable-how much will a new swing arm cost? Or used from a salvage yard?

Appreciate any advice.
-RR

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's an update.

Swingarm fracturing near the pinch bolts was not uncommon in first generation Hinkley Daytonas. Most likley due to over torqueing the pinch bolts. For you 95, 96 daytona owners out there-reference your torque recos in your owner's manual.

New OEM swingarm is $941 via BikeBandit (FYI Bike Bandit is great source for exploded diagrams/micofiche of components-simply save pic as a GIF. Open in Windows viewer and print.)

Salvage swingarm with shipping from a shop in UK is $350

Waiting on a recommendation to weld/replace from a local british bike shop here.

Will try to grab some pics in next few days.

-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have two of those swing arms that I am not using and I want to sell them. They are not perfect both of them were on bikes that were laid down and have light road rash but are usable. I am cheaper than that salvage yard! I also have a complete rear suspension setup with shock that I have no use for, I was saving them for my TBS Cafe project but I was able to use the original suspension with a different swing arm. Let me know where you are located and I can quote you a price with shipping.

[ This message was edited by: meanchuck on 2007-03-07 14:30 ]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey there meanchuck.

I'm located in zip 11211. Definitely interested in hearing you out. My question is how bad are the swingarms rashed?

I'm assuming these are off your 95 Speed Triple?

Can you post a few pics?

Thanks
-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts
Actually they are both off Daytona's one of them I parted out. They are not horrible, a little work and you will probably never know it. I'll clean them up and get some pics on here, I just came in from shoveling snow and I need to stop sweating and dry off before I go back out in the garage. This is my Speedy which may be up for sale if you know anyone looking.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you get a chance, please post pics of actual swingarms, and if include description of rash cause.

And don't forget price.

Appreciate the posts.
-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts

Here are the swing arms. The one with the silver adjusters is off a 1995 Daytona with 24,000 miles. The other one might be off a Trophy it has alot more road grime on it and looks like it is off a high mileage bike. I took pictures of all the scratches except on the ends of the swing arms, they have some small scratches mostly from moving them around my garage. On top of both they both have bubbled paint probably from the battery. PM me with an offer for each or both. Let me know if you need any more close ups or other views.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Travis!

I have to take the bike to a shop for prognosis on swingarm weld vs. replacement. Don't think I'll have time to ride.

Spring time weather is just around the corner-can't wait to do some nj rides. You have any rides planned out?

Have you ever ridden the "circuit" around the meadowlands? Kanoa has a map of it on his site.

Essentially a loop from the highway to access roads, then back to highway.

FYI-few of us are thinking of doing a Canada trip sometime in the next few months. Let me know if something you'd be interested in joining.

-RR

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meanchuck,

Not sure if my PM went through. Can you post additional pics of the Daytona Swingarm-particularly the pinch bolt areas on each side of the swingarm.

I do have a few questions.

Is the swingarm straight?

Is the swingarm off a 900 Daytona?

Are there any gouges in the metal on the swingarm?

Thanks.
-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts
It went through, I've had a crazy weekend and haven't been home much. It is off a 900 Daytona and as far as I can tell it is straight. I had the bike drivable before I parted it out and it handled fine. I hope these pics are the angles that you wanted. All the gouges are pictured.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quick update:

I now have a replacement swingarm (thanks Meanchuck) and am planning on doing the swap this saturday.

Came across a bit of an issue with some of the hardware. The bolt that attaches the suspension linkage to the swingarm sits in a sleeve sunk into the swingarm. The bolt is definiately an 18mm, but my standard craftsman 1/2 drive 18mm does not fit into the sleeve.

After a discussion with Kit-thought perhaps that an 18mm deep socket would be smaller in diameter than the regular. I compared sockets at a hardware store today and the sockets appeared same diameter to me.

Is there a special tool for removal?
-RR

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Rat.........bear with me on this one, but does your spark plug spanner fit? Now before you laugh you'll have to excuse me as my bike doesn't have a tool kit so i don't know what the construction of the plug spanner is, so it may not be tough enogh. I had to fabricate up a plug spanner for my bike and noticed that it was approx 18mm thats all. Let me know if it works okay?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after 6 hours of wrangling in the garage yesterday, the old cracked swingarm is replaced with the new(er) salvage arm. (Big shout out to Kit for physically helping with the swap. This guy knows his Triumphs.)

Overall, the Haynes guide made the project fairly easy. Steps were laid out well and the instructions made sense. One point of recommendation for t3 owners-definitely add a drift tool to your tool chest.

3 hours for this project was related to struggling with removing the rear wheel and swingarm axles. The Haynes manual mentions that you "might" want to have a drift tool handy. In all actuality, you NEED a drift tool to remove the axles.

Unsure what diameter would be necessary, but lengthwise would need to be at least 18-20 inches.

Happy wrenching.
-RR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts