Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I am putting my T140 Bonneville engine back together and am finding the intake camshaft is fairly difficult to turn after the cam gear/pinion is installed. Removing it, the cam again turns freely. The gear is not being installed backward. I thought the woodruff key might be contacting the engine case, so I ground a tad bit off the inboard end of the key. No improvement. Did I miss something in the assembly?

Thanks.
Russ

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you renew the bushes? Some timing side ones are made too long, so the pinion grips the bush when the nut is tightened up.
No. They are the same bushes. I split the cases to repair an oil leak at the case joint, so no replacements inside. I had done the motor up in 2010. New top end, lower end, sludge tube, etc.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found the culprit!! Using a felt marker to "blue" the back side of the gear as a wear indicator; it turns out the gear was rubbing the engine case. Closer inspection showed the cam bush very slightly recessed into the case preventing the cam from locating properly outward. The fix was to heat the case locally and draw the bush back out with the cam/nut/gear. No case splitting necessary.

Russ
998cc

1 - 5 of 5 Posts