Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

Well I maybe inheriting a 1980-1983 Honda CB400T Hawk. It seems like my uncle had it in his house when he passed away and it had been left there by some previous rental tenants. It has been sitting there for almost 20 years based on the last time the tabs were renewed. I think he just didn't want to do anything with it since it was not his. Not sure how laws regarding abandoned property works but will have to look into seeing what the status is and find out how it will work or if it is possible to track down the previous owner. If it does come my way I was just curious if a person wanted to do a café racer project would this be a decent bike for it? Or if anyone has some other opinions on the bike I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can't comment on laws, but in some countries after a while (read, many years) abandoned stuff becomes of the landowner.

I think the bike would be a good platform for a Cafe Racer or a Brat style project. Check on the internet, already by removing the side panel and rerouting cables you can slim down the silouette considerably.

Engine sounds in need of a complete rebuild, if it was sitting idle that long, depending also on how it was stored. That will be the tedious part.

Can reuse forks and shocks and assorted pieces from other bikes, if your area has a good used / scrapyard market.

·
2,935 Posts
I am so jealous. My first bike was a 400 Hawk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. Based on a little googling it appears that after 60 days in the state the property is considered abandoned. Not sure how one goes about dealing with a title transfer in this situation but that's going to take a bit more time and research. Also a check with the local police department to make sure it was stolen.

As far as a project goes I have a bit of an idea of where to start. I helped a friend get a 1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 up and running that had sat for about 10 years. Several carb rebuilds later and removing all the varnish from the carbs we were able to get it fired up and running. He still rides it ten years later. I know tires and a new battery will also be needed. As far as rebuilding the engine I may just take a look at the condition of the oil and see what it looks like. Not that I am afraid to do it if it is needed.

As far as parts go there is a HUGE motorcycle junk yard about a 40 minute drive away. So parts for a project bike could be easy to get.

Sport Wheels Motorcycle Scrap Yard

I saw this 1980 Honda CB400T "Sole Wing 400" Custom Cafe Racer by 1 of 1 customs and was like ohhh yeah. I have always liked the mono shock conversions I have seen. A little fab work is something I am not scared of. I have worked with metal as well as some composite work in fiberglass and carbon fiber. I am a tinker at heart.

Gives me something to do this winter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I have some bad news. My Dad talked to a Honda dealer and they said it was going to cost a lot of money to get it running again so he sold the bike out there, would have been nice if he asked me first. Well guess I need to find a new winter project.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Well I have some bad news. My Dad talked to a Honda dealer and they said it was going to cost a lot of money to get it running again so he sold the bike out there, would have been nice if he asked me first. Well guess I need to find a new winter project.
Bummer! Did your dad know that you were wanting to restore it?

·
Registered
8,096 Posts
That's sad... but possibly a blessing too. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did talk to him about it. I did want a project bike. I told him I had access to three different motorcycle mechanics to ask for advice if I needed any help. Would have been a nice way to remember my uncle. Ohh well maybe I will find an old Triumph or Norton instead.

·
Registered
156 Posts
The Hawk could actually post faster laps than an RD400. Just wasn't as sexy and cost more if it blew up. And oiled the track more...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts