Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi All, Yesterday afternoon I tested temps on motor after bike sat all night & half the day in closed garage. My thermometer gun read within 3 degrees of the thermometer on the wall. Of course who knows how accurate gun is hot, but spit dancing on fin is a real indication of heat.

Both John's & my bike ran very close temps. Glad you brought up oil temp. My gun struggles reading through the filler hole so that was not readable. However back bone near cap was only about 85f. I couldn't get repeatable readings down low on back bone, but it was I'd estimate 115-120f at most. Oil tank on the '69 Bonnie runs similar to my lower frame. The steel feed tube to oil pump will feel similar also in similar conditions. The side covers & cases feel similar as well.

This is very interesting the temps of motors. Again I was just shocked at how hot these motors were.

I'm most interested to see if cam timing is a factor. I have no idea. At work it is was very easy to get cam timing off 1 tooth with the variable timing arrangement. You had to be certain the gear was in the "nominal" position. If one tooth off the motor would start, but run oddly like it was holding back. Check eng light comes on. Never noticed any temp difference, water cooling is very efficient.

Verifying 38deg mark is actually 38d so you know rotor hasn't slipped is key in setting timing. I've found if mixture is way lean the bike runs poorly. Won't take throttle for hoot. I have no idea if new rings actually make motor run hotter. Never thought about it. As I said never measured temps before. Would be interesting to see what others find in real life riding on motor that works & runs good.
Don

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Just out of interest, this is the sludge trap on my crank at 40,000 miles. Note that the crank has a split which is why i took it out. All the oil intended for the shells was just squirting out the crack so no oil pressure at all. The bike still ran and i got home 8 miles at 2000 rpm. Lucky the crank held together as it had begun twisting. It snapped as i let off the throttle at 80 mph.
Thanks Rambo, this site is so informative, great feed back

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I have just the opposite of too hot. I can belt mine along for 50 miles and the engine is still cool to the touch. The cases, you can keep your hands on and luke warm. Head and barrels are always very hot as i would expect. The only time it will get moderately hot is with a passenger and a combined weight of around 400 lbs. Sea level riding and 1000 ft above sea level at times.
Rub it in Rambo!! 😜😜

41 - 43 of 43 Posts