Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a 77 Triumph Bonneville, Jubilee edition. When I go to install the rear wheel, I have a gap between the swing arm and the spacer on the sprocket side. I have looked at the parts manual and on the disc side it shows a washer that I believe goes between the speedometer housing and the mounting arm for the brake caliper. If that is incorrect, can someone straighten me out. On the parts diagram it shows the sprocket side chain adjuster having a raised, washer, type area on the inside of the adjuster. I have 2 new adjusters, part number 37-3742 I think, and neither one has a raised, washer, type area. Is there suppose to be a washer between the adjuster and the spacer in the hub on the sprocket side? I know that some of the drawings are not always correct but the parts manual does not list a part number for a washer on the sprocket side.

Thanks
Bob

·
6,619 Posts
Hi Bob,

77 Triumph Bonneville,
looked at the parts manual and on the disc side it shows a washer that I believe goes between the speedometer housing and the mounting arm for the brake caliper.
Part #12? If so, correct.

On the parts diagram it shows the sprocket side chain adjuster having a raised, washer, type area on the inside of the adjuster.
Wrong.

have 2 new adjusters, part number 37-3742 I think, and neither one has a raised, washer, type area.
Correct.

The diagram is copied from the T160 parts book. However, when it was changed for the twin to add the third hub casting (part #13), whoever did that change forgot :rolleyes: to change the drive-side chain adjuster to 'remove' the attached spacer - it's the T160 that has a different chain adjuster on each side.

If you look at the parts list on the next page, the columns say:-

"Ref. No." "19"
"Part No." 37-3742"
"Description" "Aduster - chain"
"Quantity" "2"

... you couldn't have one chain adjuster with a spacer and the other one without but both have the same part number.

I've moved this thread to the main CVV Forum (you'd posted it in Vintage Technical Tips & Tricks", which is for posting them, not asking questions ;)).

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts