Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My 1976 T140V.
I am not hugely experienced with these machines yet, but to me there is a noticeable rattling/knocking sound from the engine which seems more prominent on the timing side. Not sure if this is normal or if anyone else can hear what I hear? I have set the valve clearances a few times but I think it's still noisier than it used to be before I replaced the right side exhaust rocker ball with a later version one (the one with the different thread). That is the only change from before I noticed the noise. Does anyone think I have a problem, and if so any suggestions about what to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Hi Sean, I can't tell from video. I've taken many bike videos. On video many things sound different to my ears. I hear hard clacks & knock I don't hear in real life.

Where are you located? Maybe there is site member nearby where you could compare machines or has more experience with noises.

I've never changed a rocker ball. I don't know if that is making noise or not. I wouldn't think installing later rocker arm with unified thread for adjuster would make noise.
Don

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sean, I can't tell from video. I've taken many bike videos. On video many things sound different to my ears. I hear hard clacks & knock I don't hear in real life.

Where are you located? Maybe there is site member nearby where you could compare machines or has more experience with noises.

I've never changed a rocker ball. I don't know if that is making noise or not. I wouldn't think installing later rocker arm with unified thread for adjuster would make noise.
Don

Thanks Don. I'm greatly encouraged that you can't tell TBH. I'm not sure if the rattly sound is normal or not so your reply encourages me to think it is. I don't know anyone locally with another T140 to compare to, but that is a good suggestion. I will try to find one.

Is it possibly an exhaust leak?

Could be. I've sprayed some wd40 around the outlets but didn't detect any changes apart from smoking pipes o_O

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I cant hear anything abnormal there. Sounds very good.

·
Premium Member
1976 T140V Bonneville
294 Posts
Sean,

just for comparison, here is a recent video of my 1976 T140v … however, to me it sounds very similar to yours except for my louder pipes.

Link here

1 - 8 of 8 Posts