Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance for any mistakes...
I have a 76 T140V basket/coffee can/mason jar case. I am tearing apart the engine and I cannot get the outer gearbox cover off. I think a previous owner used way too much jointing compund or something. I have removed all of the fasteners and followed the service manual instructions for removal, but it will not budge. Does anyone know any tricks to get this cover off? I have been tapping it with a rubber and plastic mallet and am at the point where I want to pry it off, but I can't even do that because there is nowhere to put a prybar behind the cover; besides, I do not want to mar the mating surface. ANY help would be welcomed.

Dave

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gearbox casing

Gday
I have a 77 T 140v
Try this.
Unscrew the clutch adjusting opening
and use a piece of wooden dowelling to
prise the casing.
or get a hold of a Stanley knife blade
and if there is too much compound
there will be a millimetre or thousandth space
to fit the sharp end in and tap tap tap
all the way round with say a small hammer or steel bar.
Be careful not to hit the casing.
Just to be sure
Triple check that you have removed all the casing nuts
including the chain adjuster.eyeball the whole area again.
to be sure.Dont tell us if you find another nut:>}
Remember.Keep the faith!
Regards
KiwiBilly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi

I had the same issue a few months ago, once i had got as much of the sealent off it still would not move, i then more by look than judgement played with my gear change at the same time as tapping it with a rubber hammer it fell of, i think it was just tight on the gear selector fork!

Hope this helps.

Simon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1976 T140V Completely Stuck Gearbox Outer Cover - UPDATE

Thanks to all who offered suggestions! I tried a dowel in the clutch adjustment opening and playing with the gear change while trying to dislodge the cover, but no luck, so I used a putty knife. I started toward the rear and above the oil full line, in case I marred the mating surface...thankfully, I did not! I then tried to keep the knife flatas I tapped it along the gasket trying not to allow it to get too deep into the gearbox. I literally had to tap all the way around since the bond was so secure, but in the end it came off!!! Scraping the gasket off was CRAZY. The previous owner must have use some sort of NASA glue or something. Anyway, now that the outer cover is off, I just ordered service tool 61-7023 from Baxter Cycle so I can remove the contact breaker unit. Thanks again to all who offered advice.

Dave

·
Registered
625 Posts
Putty knife?
I used a putty knife ... in the end it came off
Score!! :)

Seriously, though ... glad you got it off of there ... for future reference, Liquid Nails should NOT be used for sealing engine parts. Although they probably don't show it in your parts book, there should be a gasket available for the outer gearbox cover. You probably won't need any sealant at all on it ... although a touch of Yamabond never hurt anyone ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Pulling the clutch lever in a couple of times should have popped it right off.

You don't need a special tool to get the points cam off, just unscrew the bolt that holds it in and screw in the larger diameter bolt that it's already threaded for. Tap the end of the bolt up, down, left, right, and it will pop off before you get to the 4th tap, unless the other guy used liquid nails there, too...

·
Registered
372 Posts
The only gasket is between the inner cover and the tranny case. If your mating surfaces are in pretty good shape, try some Loctite 515. It's anaerobic so the tube lasts forever. You wouldn't think it but it's amazing how well a thin film of that stuff stops. I like it because the clean up of any excess is so easy. It is also easier to get apart than some of the fancy silicones. In fact, I use it on my primary - without a gasket and no leaks. With the paper gasket it was always wet.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The only gasket is between the inner cover and the tranny case.
Originally ... yes ... however, they make a gasket to go between the inner and the outer covers ... call your supplier and ask for it ... I use one on my 500 ... I've assembled it without one and it doesn't leak, but I like using one just to be sure.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
This thread came along at a great time. I’m putting wrenches to my new 77-T140V this weekend for the first time to remove and clean up the clutch pack which has frozen up from setting to long. Not to highjack this thread, but I was wondering if you guys remove the exhaust first like the service mannul says before removing the primary cover? Sort of looks like the cover will come off even with the exhaust still bolted up. :confused:

GrandPaulZ, I haven’t opened mine up yet to fully understand how pulling the clutch lever could help in the releasing of the primary cover. Now I can’t wait to see what’s under that primary cover. Humm……. -Steve

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
No, pulling in the clutch will pop loose the TRANNY cover (after you remove the fixing fasteners).

Yes, remove the exhaust, and you'll need to at least loosen the footpeg to make it easier to get at everything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts