Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
It’s old. You’ll have to fix some stuff. You’ll have to maintain it . But if you are willing to do this they are great motorcycles. My recommendation, Buy It.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
The only thing I can think of to be wary of is that that bike is an oil in frame model, which can lead to some issues. But then again, plenty of people are still out riding them, so take that with a grain of salt.
OIF issues were solved long before '76......solid, great, reliable bike. I'd grab it depending on price - but make sure it turns over nicely....... Price?

GN

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The OIF are not as collectable as the earlier Triumps like the 60s. They are by far the better riders though, the 5 speeds my favourite, I had a 76 and it was a gem once I resurrected it. If I had another I'd put gaiters on first thing but other then that good sound bikes. A friend has a 73 with 143000 on the bottom and 3 top ends. They seem to be cheap for what they are. Mine was a one kick starter, many I've seen are.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I bought my T140 because I have owned several older Triumphs and I remember while riding them how nice a 5th gear and disc brake would be. I was not disappointed. Better carbs, more power, better cruising, better braking, less vibration. In my mind an improvement over my TR6R in every respect. I paid $1900 for it and rode it home. Money well spent in my book.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I remember the indoctrination speech when I took delivery of mine new.
Part of it went something like " the front disk brake on your motorbike should only be activated with one finger". That was true at the time because they were such a change but now grabbing a handful wouldn't cause too much drama. Funny how perspectives change with technology.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
So.... Jamanna, That was 7 months ago. What ever happened with the bike?
Don
Interesting - Jaymanaa seems to have disappeared over 7 months ago, but this thread has taken on a life of its own without him! :|

GN

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Interesting - Jaymanaa seems to have disappeared over 7 months ago, but this thread has taken on a life of its own without him! :|

GN

Gator,
The gold '72 was my first motorcycle.

Bought it one summer old. Owner's son went to college and his father sold me the bike!

Test ride was on the back because I didn't have a bike license yet.

Actually took the test on the Bonneville.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ive owned my '77 T140V since 1979. It had 1100 miles on it when I got it - and now shows over 45,000 on the odo. Mostly original, but jetted for 2 into one exhaust since about 1985. Many two up rides, several of over 1000 miles with camping gear until the late 80's when we had kids. Last "big" ride with my wife was in the 90s. Unladen, the bike is a blast - not a knee scraping, rubber burning experience - but a nice nimble, responsive ride and FUN. Ive done the usual top ends, valves a couple of times, clutch work, seals, etc. and even a "major" rebuild around 24,000 miles. Its had a few breakdowns - nothing catastrophic - and am always able to limp home. Think Ive had 3 flats. It leaks in a few places. Put a Boyer unit on it around '95 and have never had trouble with it - but it needs a fully charged battery to run well. Original Mk 1 carbs were rebored and heavy chrome plated air slides installed - runs very well.

I echo many of the sentiments expressed - for example doesn't like hot weather unless its moving. Rear disc brake caliper requires more attention (learned that after a few years), but I flush front/rear brakes every year. Electrical wiring is problematic, but fixable - I totally rewired mine about 25 years ago. Ive never had any issues with the frame and I still start it on the center stand - side stand if its not the first start of the day. Im not very big and its a good size for me. Many smaller issues, but nothing that puts me off the bike overall. It will require attention if you use it - most of which you can probably do yourself. That's been part of the "experience" and fun for me.

Youll spend some money maintaining it, but it will be worth it - as long as youre not expecting TOO much from a 40+ year old machine. And only after you get it running youll discover what it really needs in the way of any more serious work. Good luck!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts