Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I figured I'd tell my story here. I traded a spare car for her as she looks. Had a few oil leaks but ran great.

Got her on 9/14/2012 from a military guy that moved from AZ.

Got her home

Rain in the forecast for 4 days, so decided to strip it down:

Valves moved back and forth a lot, especially the exhaust ones, so cleaned up the head and ordered new guides and valves.

Old guides were hard to get out

Measured the bores and pistons, woah, everything was in stock clearance :) so decided to leave the pistons and sleeves alone for now.

All back together, but I have leaks from bent/out of alignment pushrod tubes.

So just ordered a new complete gasket kit and new pushrod tubes today. Figured I'd lightly hone the cyl walls this time and just reuse the stock rings (yes, I'm on a huge budget, so that's all I can afford this month!). I never replaced the seals in the pushrod tube things in the block, that might be the real source of the leak.

The forks/caliper are from a buell blast. Rotor is a 320mm brembo. Front wheel is a Yamaha XS650, triple is buell with what the PO says is a custom stem. Neck bearings are stock Triumph.

PO did that conversion, and I think a post unit has an alloy rear wheel, could be an interesting thing to research once I sort out the leaks.

Well, there's my story so far, not new to riding at all, but had this opportunity after a long break, so I'm in Triumph-land now. Seems to be a wealth of info here on these forums!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hopefully you cleaned up the head before driving out the guides?
Of course, that was a mock picture well after the fact just to show the drill bits and hammer. There was other work that got that stuff dirty afterwards.

There was much cleanup of the head even after that pic. I'm quickly learning that every rubber piece/seal on this bike is like hard plastic now! Even the rocker box seals which I didn't replace, they have hard "plastic seals" now.

That's also on the next list. The good thing is that a teardown is very simple. Nothing like working on modern cars, which I've been doing for decades.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New pushrod tubes arrived today. I thought the lower insides had a plastic insert.... nope they were for a new o-ring!

Now I know, and I have the o-ring. The old ones were bent anyway, so new ones are good

Family arriving tomorrow, won't be working on it tonight, I hate delays!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's all back together again, gotta do a head retorque, maybe a tiny bit of oil from the head gasket.

The good... new pushrod tubes don't leak... the previous ones were shorter by a few mm's.

I asked a friend for a messenger bag so I can ditch the backpack, and he came through... probably less than $5 and he gave it to me for free. I'll mount on the other side, and maybe work on pinning on the seat frame and a lower mount to keep it from "flapping". What's weird is that the strap went around the seat almost perfectly on accident the first time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts