Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just purchased a '73 Bonneville T140R from an old friend that purchased it new way back then. It is in beautiful condition and I am servicing it now. Have not been on this forum for a long time.
I also have a 1979 Bonneville T140BA that I purchased over 20 years ago that has a problem with a bad alternator. Going to fix it and sell it. The '73 is my favorite and I will be using this forum to get questions answered. He took very great care of it through the years and it has new tires and a Boyer ignition. No leaks!
I will keep the '73 and my 1957 Cushman Eagle that I totally rebuilt to replicate the one that I had back in the 60's. when I was in High School. They will be passed on to my Son and Grandson when I am gone. Thank you all for the tips that I will be needing
in regards to the Triumphs.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Nice,with a gear lever where it should be ! I am surprised you are going to sell the other bike just because of an alternator fault which is an easy repair.
Your leaks will come along over the years so be patient and wait.

·
Premium Member
10,004 Posts
each to their own but a 79 was a far better bike than the 73 with a better alternator ( obvs not yours!) and better switchgear and levers, stronger frame, etc.

Fix the alternator before selling as the cost to you will be minimal, and smaller than the discount a buyer will try to extract

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is a T140V. I will try to find the alternator that I need for the '79 Bonneville and get it going again. Any suggestions on where to get a good one?
Thanks for the Love for my 57 Cushman Eagle. It was a labor of love for me as I had one in the summer of 1963. It had low miles and was Safety Orange.
Paid $175 for it. Wow. Miss those old days. I rode it to work when I was in High School in all conditions. Remember going to work one day when it was 18 degrees
and the streets were covered in snow. It never failed to start in any weather. I worked at a Kresge's store back then. One day a very cute girl that worked there
with me asked me to take her for a ride on a Sunday when we were amazingly both off at the same time. We fell in Love that day. Many motorcycles, cars etc
have passed through my hands over the years but there is one thing I have kept. Her. We will be married 50 years this year. She is the Love of my life!
When I finished the replacement '57 Cushman we went for a few rides. It brought back many memories. I hit 60 mph on the one I had in High School and I
had a goal to achieve that with this one. I did. 63 mph with a rebuilt stock M9 block with a .040" overbore. Stock original cam, new standard valves and a Mikuni
carb. Hard to believe that an 8 HP engine can do that. I am a retired Millwright, 4 year Navy Veteran serving on one ship for my enlistment. More time overseas than
in the States. I was the Oil King on my ship and had to run a "mileage test" for 24 hours during one of our "cruises" overseas. We achieved the amazing mileage
of 6 inches per gallon of #6 Black Oil (Bunker C).

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Hi,

I will try to find the alternator that I need for the '79 Bonneville and get it going again. Any suggestions on where to get a good one?
'79-on twins without electric start were fitted originally with the 'low output' (10.5A @ 5,000 rpm) version of the RM24 3-phase alternator.

Original Lucas versions of these are still available, now advertised as just "Made In England". Don't be tempted to buy a pattern Wassell "Genuine Lucas" :rofl or Sparx 3-phase; these are all higher output and you'll end up having to hack the wiring about to replace the bike's original rectifier and single Zener with a combined reg./rec. :(

Hth.

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts