Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the site and have a quick Triumph question. When I was younger, my Dad had a 1972 Triumph Tiger 650. It had the blue and white tank. My question is, what is the model number for this bike. For example, is this also referred to as a TR6? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That it exactly! What a great looking bike!

My Dad sold his back in the mid-eighties. Hope to find one like it someday. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PSASAK,

I finally found an old registration for my Dad's bike, it was a TR6R # AG 44,XXX. From what I remember, it looked exactly like yours.

I've found one for sale in west-central Ohio, but it doesn't look to be in nearly as nice shape as yours and I think they're asking way more than it's worth. Would you mind telling my your bike's ballpark value since you're also in Ohio? (+$3,000, +$4,000, etc.)?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Paul

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
The Bonnevilles tend to bring a higher price just because of the name. A Tiger in the condition shown here is at least worth $4000 and probably as much as $7000 depending on the market and the buyer.

There was an OIF Tiger for sale locally last year for $2400. Looked good in the pictures provided with the ad. But I doubt if it was in the condition shown here. It was for sale for a long time. I don't know if it ever sold. I was going to offer a lowball price, but decided I had enough projects.

That is a very nice Tiger, by the way.
regards,
Rob

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Tr6r

In 72, there was also a TR6RV five speed variant. With most of these, they fitted the "metric" crank and 6306 right. main bearing, replacing the inch sized bearing. Some also got the heavy cam pinions. Many 72 five speeds also got the seat hinges moved back to the left side and the frame lowered as per the T140 spec.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies,

The one for sale locally isn't anywhere near as nice as that one, and isn't currently in running condition, so I know they're asking way more than what the average price seems to be. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
609 Posts
There's a guy in Medina selling a '72 TR6RV:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/1739903051.html

According to the ad it's a runner, he rides it to work and the like. Looks mostly stock, bars don't look right. I've contacted him and have some pictures I'd be happy to share.

I thought about it some, would be nice to have another 'classic' Triumph (sold my '67 T100 a long long time ago) but the next bike is gonna be my wifes and she'd not be able to handle switching from left to right shift ;-)

·
Registered
161 Posts
mine is also a 72 TR6R tiger 650, but with a different paint scheme on the tank and different rocker covers, and it is the high seat version

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update:

I found out that my Dad's bike was shipped from Ohio to California in the mid 1980's and then shipped to Queensland, Australia, where it is still currently registered. Doesn't look like there's much hope of ever getting that one back, but I'd like to find one like it someday. I do know his was the four speed version, not the five speed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I'm brand new to the site and have a quick Triumph question. When I was younger, my Dad had a 1972 Triumph Tiger 650. It had the blue and white tank. My question is, what is the model number for this bike. For example, is this also referred to as a TR6? Thanks in advance!
I have a 72 650 tiger 4 speed blue and white tank all original only 7,000 miles on it always garage kept im thinking about selling

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
I have a 72 650 tiger 4 speed blue and white tank all original only 7,000 miles on it always garage kept im thinking about selling
Welcome to the forum. The original poster started this zombie thread you resurected about 12 years ago. Sounds like a nice bike you're selling. Post a picture before the mods slap your hand for trying to slip through the AUP for selling a bike before being a member for 30 days. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts