Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a repair on a stripped stud on oil sump cover. Now I want to fill with oil so I can see if the leak has stopped. I am trying to get my head wrapped around the oil in frame technology when it comes to filling with oil and checking the level. I have the dipstick in top of frame, my question is "Do I just fill with 4 3/4 pints of oil through the top of frame without starting the bike and letting it run to circulate the oil. If so when I fill it does it take a while for the oil to go where it needs to get to the oil sump. I have read the owners manual but still not sure. Would appreciate any explanations from those alot more familiar with this bike than myself. It actually belongs to a friend of mine and I have been taking care of a few things on it. Up to this point I have expierience with mostly Jap bikes and older BMW's. Information much appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think I found the answer to my question at least most of it. I read the manual over again and did find the other drain bolt in the bottom of the main frame behind the side cover. Still appreciate any input from the ones expierienced with this bike. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had a 71 oil-in-frame BSA 650 and to my recollection that is all you need to do, just add oil to the frame under the seat and the rest is magic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a 71 oil-in-frame BSA 650 and to my recollection that is all you need to do, just add oil to the frame under the seat and the rest is magic.
Hey Steve, Thanks much. I just put oil in, now I wait for the Magic, to see if the leak in the oil sump is stopped. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
9,607 Posts
Hi,
this bike
belongs to a friend of mine
have done a repair on a stripped stud on oil sump cover.
Up to this point I have expierience with mostly Jap bikes
If you've had a CB750, this 250 is exactly the same, except the 250's oil 'tank' is the frame front tube.

I just put oil in, now I wait for the Magic, to see if the leak in the oil sump is stopped.
Oil won't reach your stud repair 'til the engine's run - then the engine draws oil from the frame, pumps it through the crank to the big-end and to the rockers and valves in the head; then the oil drains to the engine's sump,

When the engine's running, oil draining into the sump is picked up by the scavenge side of the pump, pumped through the micropore filter and back to the frame.

Because you've put (all?) oil in the frame, only way you can check your repair is by running the engine.

trying to get my head wrapped around the oil in frame technology when it comes to filling with oil and checking the level.
Once the bike's used regularly, "filling with oil" is simply drain the old from the frame, refit filter at bottom of frame tube, refill frame with whichever is correct of either "4 pints" or "4 3/4 pints" US.

"checking the level" is exactly the same as any vehicle, whether you're checking the level in a separate tank or sloshing about in the bottom of the engine.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

If you've had a CB750, this 250 is exactly the same, except the 250's oil 'tank' is the frame front tube.

Oil won't reach your stud repair 'til the engine's run - then the engine draws oil from the frame, pumps it through the crank to the big-end and to the rockers and valves in the head; then the oil drains to the engine's sump,

When the engine's running, oil draining into the sump is picked up by the scavenge side of the pump, pumped through the micropore filter and back to the frame.

Because you've put (all?) oil in the frame, only way you can check your repair is by running the engine.

Once the bike's used regularly, "filling with oil" is simply drain the old from the frame, refit filter at bottom of frame tube, refill frame with whichever is correct of either "4 pints" or "4 3/4 pints" US.

"checking the level" is exactly the same as any vehicle, whether you're checking the level in a separate tank or sloshing about in the bottom of the engine.

Hth.

Regards,
StuartMac, thanks much for your input. I'm out of town for a bit but when I get back, I'm gonna run bike and go from there. Thanks again, it really helps.
Paul

·
Registered
244 Posts
The drain plug under the seat is somewhat controversial in unit single circles. The oil in the frame that sits under the seat does not circulate much and essentially becomes stagnant. You can check this after running the bike for a long ride the front downtube will be warm as its filled with circulated engine oil but the seat tube will be cold. Some people plumb a hose barb into the seat drain plug and run a hose from it to a T fitting in the supply. This ensures that the oil in the frame under the seat is circulating. The issue with this is that there is probably a lot of sludge and gunk in that seat frame tube that is now going directly into the engine. On my B50, I chose to put a hose barb on the seat drain plug but I run the hose to the bottom of the bike and plug it with a clamp and a bolt. This allows me drain the seat tube easier than spilling oil all over the battery. There is a nice write up about this mod on the b50.org site BSA B50 Tech Tips Return Oil 2

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts