Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, can you tell me if it is normal to be able to pull out the gear change quadrant shaft using the gear lever. Mine will pull out approx 1/2" exposing the o ring through the outer cover. Should the quadrant be fixed to the shaft in some way to prevent this.

Part number T408/9 for reference

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
dont sound right to me - the shaft should be a tight interference fit in the quadrant - i think you need to take the outer cover off to check if its the shaft moving in the quadrant or maybe something else

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
the thing is you don't know if one part is worn or both - so probably the best way to go is replace both parts

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi Si, As was stated normally that's a press fit. There is a key on the '69 shifter I am looking at in my garage now. That key would prevent rotation on shaft, but not sideways movement.

At this point you'll need to remove it & inspect.

Triumph didn't sell the parts separately. The shaft & quadrant casting came as an assembled unit. Now you see parts separately on Ebay. Likely will need both shaft & casting. Good used one would be good too.

Since key takes twist force, I wonder if you could drill casting & shaft & install a cotter pin? Or a length of 1/8" music wire (piano wire) & peen each end? Peening wire would take less space. Music wire is very strong & would not come loose. Music wire is usually sold at RC car & RC airplane hobby shops. You might have room to just bend wire ends over also??

Looking at cover & shaft in my hand, not a lot of space, but careful placement would allow it. Replace o-ring on shaft also.
Don

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
John, Ive been reading your posts for a little over 10 years. Your advise has helped me and pulled me out of the **** more times than I can count. That is the first time I have seen you recommend red loctite. I'll have to keep a mental note.

Cheers
Rod

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your help and advice, new quadrant and shaft obtained and arrived as one and firmly joined together.

Cheers Simon

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
John, Ive been reading your posts for a little over 10 years. Your advise has helped me and pulled me out of the **** more times than I can count. That is the first time I have seen you recommend red loctite. I'll have to keep a mental note.

Cheers
Rod

Woke me right up when I saw who posted that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello All, I have the same problem and have found this and don't want to spend over £50 on a new assy.
I was thinking about loctite but also contemplating seeing if it is hardened and, if not, try putting a roll pin through. What do folk think?
Thanks,
Richard.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Hi richardeblack, The quadrant is located by a key. After you remove it you'll determine how much damage you find. That will lead to your next step. Fix or replace.

Loctite would be an excellent idea. Roll pin also is excellent idea. I would do both if possible. I don't think shaft or quadrant are hardened. I've used file to deburr o-ring groove in past. I'd test with a file. If it slides freely it's hardened. If it cuts at all you could drill it.

Looking at some photos I have, looks like there is room to safety wire roll pin. Should Loctite let loose (unlikely) & the shaft/quadrant starts working the roll pin can compress & work loose. That's why the safety wire.

I think you'll be successful on this repair.

Should you need new/used assembly, be sure to get the correct late version that you have. The early version has a smaller o-ring groove. This small o-ring is nearly impossible to find. Study photos carefully as many sellers don't mention this.

On side note the curved springs tend to rust & wear. I find changing springs to the stronger, curved late T140 springs
IMG_2252.JPG
57-7051 gives a very positive centering of gear shift. This tends to make shifting more positive & to my foot easier to select neutral. I always use these now.
Don

1 - 11 of 11 Posts