Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After putting my transmission together I found that it came with the incorrect quadrant. It has a number on it of 57-0397. I beleive thta would make it for a 4 speed. From what I can tell from the manuals, I need a 57-4363 or (T4363) Does anyone have a picture of what this 5 speed quadrant looks like? I cannot find a picture of one anywhere. My outer transmission cover was also incorrect as it did not have an access hole in the side of it. Must have been for an earlier model. I found the correct cover now and am waiting for it to arrive. Will all of the internal parts switch over to the later cover? I have read that the plungers are different also. Is this true? Thanks.:confused:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
After putting my transmission together I found that it came with the incorrect quadrant. It has a number on it of 57-0397. I beleive thta would make it for a 4 speed. From what I can tell from the manuals, I need a 57-4363 or (T4363) Does anyone have a picture of what this 5 speed quadrant looks like? I cannot find a picture of one anywhere. My outer transmission cover was also incorrect as it did not have an access hole in the side of it. Must have been for an earlier model. I found the correct cover now and am waiting for it to arrive. Will all of the internal parts switch over to the later cover? I have read that the plungers are different also. Is this true? Thanks.:confused:
http://www.classicbike.biz/triumph/Parts/Parts.htm page 41 Bob

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
You'll appreciate the filler hole on the outer cover,when you fit the clutch cable.Apart from that,and having to fill oil through the cable hole,it's not much different.
The 5-speed plungers are different,but you can grind back the 4-speed plungers to work.If they are wrong,you'll move 1/2-way through a shift before they engage.

The shift quadrant in the outer case is different too.A 4-speed one wll move too far,and you'll overshift.I suppose you could weld it up on the stops,to correct this.

The 4-speed camplate only has one track,near the outside.The 5-speed one has an inner track as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Pete,

Thanks for the info. I will order the correct plungers to help with that issue. I did order a 5 speed quadrant from a place called British Only.com.

I do have the correct cam plate. The transmission looks to be all new. The motor was never run after rebuild because of a crank issue that was resolved here thanks to other members.

I will take a few pictures tonight and post just to verify I am asking for the correct parts. a picture speaks a thousand words when it comes to some of these confusing parts. I will update when I get it all back together and working. Thanks again for the help.

May need a little help with indexing. I have read do it in 1st gear,4th gear as well as a few strange methods.

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
The quadrant in question is the one on the inner case that drives the camplate.The 5-speed one has 5 complete dogs visible from the outside (6 grooves).The 4-speed one only has 3 complete dogs.

1st gear assembly has to be the easiest.Just let that quadrant rest on the bottom of the gearbox case.Gravity will do that for you.When the gears touch,you need to lift it slightly off the case to engage the teeth.

If you have one of those woeful leaf springs on the camplate,do it the opposite way in 5th gear.You'll have to hold the quadrant against the top of the gearcase.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have spent a ,ot of money for no reason. The quadrant on my inner cover has the number 57-0397 on it but seems to have the right number of grooves. Is this possible. I guess this is where the pictire will help. I was just going on the part number.

I do have the leaf spring so I guess I will follow your advice on using 5th gear. So if I am reading this right, turn the cam plate untill the 5th gear notch is at the bottom and hold the quadrant all the way up when pushing the cover home and engaging the teeth.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have some pics od my tr6rV
On the road till friday will post some pics
Klempfs helped me with couple hard to find parts for gearbox
Mine bas leafspring and it works fine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope I have attached 4 pictures when I click submit. This is my first time doing the picture thing. Anyway, from what I have been hearing, my quadrant has 6 grooves and should be a 5 speed one. The number on it should help. There should be a picture of the plungers also. Probably cannot tell if they are correct or not. I can just go ahead and order them.

GrandPaulZ - are you refering to the cam plate when you say 2 or 3 grooves? I have the 3 groove round plate. Cannot really tell from the picture.

dl.allen - will look forward to seeing your pictures.

Sorry for sounding so needy on this but I don't want to screw it up. I have been putting a ton of time and money in this ride. Once this motor is done, I will show pics of the rest. It is my first Triumph and I am pretty excited. wanted to build one for over 30 years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
Your only worries will be on the outer cover.Everything else looks OK.

The plunger in the outer cover looks like 4-speed,so the shift quadrant probably will be too.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I agree with Mr Pete, the quadrant plunger looks to be 4-speed type.
Both are shown here:
http://www.triumph-spares.co.uk/cat_details.php?p_head=Plunger

For some reason your quadrant cast number is for a 4-speed, but is actually a 5-speed type.

Both of these are 5-speed camplates, the one on the right is the updated version with `stops`.

When indexing you might like to view this:
*Note do a dry run first before using gasket cement, until you get the hang of it. Put the outer case on temporarily to verify all gears are available.
When assembling the gearbox shafts, etc its best to do it with the camplate in the neutral slot, so to index in 1st the camplate needs to be turned to the 1st gear groove.
(its impossible to assemble the gearbox selector forks in 1st gear)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So am I hearing you say, go ahead and use the quadrant that I have if in fact it is a 5 speed?
Mr Pete - you say that if the plunges are 4 speed the quadrant most likely is also? Now I am totally confused.

The pictures of the cam plates do not show up on my computer. I need to see what the one with the stops looks like. Do I have to run the updated one? Whta do the stops do?

This video shows assembly using a cam plate plunger, I have the leaf spring cover. So do I install in 5th gear as I have been told peviously or try to do it in 1st or neutral.

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I was only refering to the quadrant and plungers in the outer case.That's the quadrant the gear lever attaches to.Everything else is fine.

It may be easier to drop the gears ,shafts and selectors into the box,when the camplate is in the first gear position.If all goes well,that takes about 30 seconds.Then fit the selector shaft fully into the case to hold everything.

Then select 5th gear,before you fit the inner cover and index the camplate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was only refering to the quadrant and plungers in the outer case.That's the quadrant the gear lever attaches to.Everything else is fine.

O.K. so do I need to buy the quadrant in the outer cover. I am about to order the plungers and can add that quadrant if needed. I will follow the advice about how to index. That seems pretty straight forward.

1 - New 5 speed quadrant for the inner trans cover
2 - New 5 speed plungers for the outer cover
3 - Index as talked about above (5th gear)
4 - quadrant for the outer cover - (undecided)?

We are almost there. I may get to ride this thing this year!:brick

·
Registered
3,989 Posts

O.K. so do I need to buy the quadrant in the outer cover. I am about to order the plungers and can add that quadrant if needed. I will follow the advice about how to index. That seems pretty straight forward.

1 - New 5 speed quadrant for the inner trans cover
2 - New 5 speed plungers for the outer cover
3 - Index as talked about above (5th gear)
4 - quadrant for the outer cover - (undecided)?

We are almost there. I may get to ride this thing this year!:brick
You dont need #1.
You might? need #4

·
Registered
386 Posts
My bike is an early 72 tr6RV and the entire gear box was worn out including bearings. I pieced it together from gears that GPZ found me and Klempfs. Following is information that someone on this site gave me that I saved but I cant remember who credit goes to:

I read somewhere that 5-speed box parts should have the latest updated numbers...but I`m not sure if this applies to the very early ones.
Mine is a `74, but it was actually manufactured in 1973, probably a bitsa .
I have replaced various parts with updated appropriate (T140) bits.
I notice there`s a note on some part lists...1973 onwards???
Working through the parts lists give these results:
1972 mainshaft T(57)3988
1973 mainshaft T4432
1974 mainshaft 57-4432
1972 layshaft T4371
1973 layshaft T4548
1974 layshaft 57-4901...assy 57-4900
`72 mainshaft 1st & 2nd T4380
`73 mainshaft 1st & 2nd T4653
`74 mainshaft 1st & 2nd 57-4653
`72 mainshaft 3rd T4377
`73 mainshaft 3rd T4377
`74 mainshaft 3rd 57-4377
`72 main 4th T4376
`73 main 4th T4376
`74 main 4th 57-4376
`72 High gear assy. T4536
`73 high gear assy. T4628
`74 high gear assy 57-4781
* this number is now 57-4779 according to 2 suppliers
`72 lay 1st T4391
`73 lay 1st T4654
`74 lay 1st 57-4654
`72 lay 2nd T4388
`73 lay 2nd T4657
`74 lay 2nd 57-4657
`72 lay 3rd T4387
`73 lay 3rd T4647
`74 lay 3rd 57-4647
`72 lay 4th T4384
`73 lay 4th T4384
`74 lay 4th 57-4384
`72 lay 5th T4383
`73 lay 5th T4550
`74 lay 5th 57-4550
* now 57-4791
Usually supplied as a layshaft assembly with 4th & 5th gears 57-4900
The older part numbers will be difficult to source.
I would suggest upgrading to the T140 G/B...if the newer parts fit
Contact a knowledgeable supplier for confirmation.
Hope this helps!

Attached is pics of my completed setup that works great.
I have more detailed pics if you need something specific.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
I should mention I indexed mine exactly like Caulkys video. I then fitted the inner cover temporarily and used a large screwdriver and a piece of wood to lever through the gears and test each gear up and down the range. If I remember right it was a good thing because I was off a tooth. Once your sure take a marker and draw a line on the quadrant and the inner cover to line up on, put on your gasket and sealant and do the permanent install. I replaced the 4 springs and did a lot of cleanup filing on the square guide plate from wear. If you have a firm and deliberate shifting toe the leafsprings work fine for me.

My quadrant show part T4363 my camplate shows T4360

1 - 20 of 20 Posts