Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hi Gibsonsmu, Don't remove primary cover. Just remove plug in center for adjuster. Put end of Verner on cover at side of hole. Push depth stem to nut. Record, Has assistant pull lever, or bungi cord it tight to grip. Measure same way. Subtract difference. That is lift.

I have no experience with Amsoil V-twin. I have lots of experience with Mobil V-twin 20-50 . I can assure you Mobil1 Vtwin will not stick old cork, new cork or any of the modern friction materials I've seen. Even after several months. Mobil1 Vtwin has never caused slip either.

But what's the lift first? Need to be sure that's good before moving on.
Don
Ok - I will try this _i'm out of town but will be back next week. Thank you for your help

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Gibsonsmu, Don't remove primary cover. Just remove plug in center for adjuster. Put end of Verner on cover at side of hole. Push depth stem to nut. Record, Has assistant pull lever, or bungi cord it tight to grip. Measure same way. Subtract difference. That is lift.

I have no experience with Amsoil V-twin. I have lots of experience with Mobil V-twin 20-50 . I can assure you Mobil1 Vtwin will not stick old cork, new cork or any of the modern friction materials I've seen. Even after several months. Mobil1 Vtwin has never caused slip either.

But what's the lift first? Need to be sure that's good before moving on.
Don
what is the depth stem?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Here's a ebay link to some calipers. Look at the photos & you can see the depth gauge stem coming out the end.

I'm out of town most of weekend. I'll try to post some photos if time permits. By end of Monday I can for sure.
I can't find them in files, so I'll take some more.

I'll often wrap a bungee cord around clutch lever to hold it to grip during the clutch lever pulled measurement. Or assistant.
Don

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Hi Gibsonsmu, Here's some photos.
I have old school Vernier calipers, no digital. No matter both work good, just much easier to read digital of course. A real depth gauge works good, but many don't have one. All Triumph owners need a Vernier caliper though.

Try to measure keeping caliper straight out so you don't measure at an angle. Look close & measure at exactly same place each time. Not so easy to consistently get repeatable results. If caliper is even a little bit crooked it will skew results. Take several readings & record results each time. Average readings. We don't need to split hairs. Within .005" is good enough. I can get repeatable within that tolerance.

You said you felt clutch adjustment was good. If not adjust before measuring. Both rod adjustment & lever play.

So measure with bar lever released say 5 times & record each. Average the readings.

Pull lever to grip. Measure 5 times. Average the readings.

Subtract the average amounts. Let me know what you find.

You can see how I use bungee to hold lever to grip. (wife not available at the moment).

Let me know what you have & we'll go from there. There is a way to test for loose nut causing excessive end play using the Vernier calipers, but that's another subject. You need to get the feel for how to do this first.

My nut looks machined on side, because it is. It was too thick as it was a thick hardware store nut. My adjuster screw is custom made, that is another subject as to why.
Don
IMG_6001.JPG
IMG_6003.JPG
IMG_6002.JPG

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get clutch drag from gear box oil entering the primary, gonna do the oil seal conversion on the high gear bush eventually, this season i just put a few teaspoons of thick grease(enfield style!) In the box, to keep it thick enough not to wander out the primary.
Shifts slicker than ever!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Gibsonsmu, Here's some photos.
I have old school Vernier calipers, no digital. No matter both work good, just much easier to read digital of course. A real depth gauge works good, but many don't have one. All Triumph owners need a Vernier caliper though.

Try to measure keeping caliper straight out so you don't measure at an angle. Look close & measure at exactly same place each time. Not so easy to consistently get repeatable results. If caliper is even a little bit crooked it will skew results. Take several readings & record results each time. Average readings. We don't need to split hairs. Within .005" is good enough. I can get repeatable within that tolerance.

You said you felt clutch adjustment was good. If not adjust before measuring. Both rod adjustment & lever play.

So measure with bar lever released say 5 times & record each. Average the readings.

Pull lever to grip. Measure 5 times. Average the readings.

Subtract the average amounts. Let me know what you find.

You can see how I use bungee to hold lever to grip. (wife not available at the moment).

Let me know what you have & we'll go from there. There is a way to test for loose nut causing excessive end play using the Vernier calipers, but that's another subject. You need to get the feel for how to do this first.

My nut looks machined on side, because it is. It was too thick as it was a thick hardware store nut. My adjuster screw is custom made, that is another subject as to why.
Don View attachment 719080 View attachment 719081 View attachment 719082
Thank you Don! I see, sorry I stpidly thought you were talking about a part on the bike. Let me take a look. Thank you again. Eric

21 - 27 of 27 Posts