Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'am new to this forum and I'am new to street legal motorcycles, I have had 3 dirtbikes in the past and thats the closest thing I have had. My grandfather offered me his 1971 triumph trophy so i'am going to pick it up on the 17th, and it has been sitting in his garage for about 3-4 years and has about 3/4 full tank. I was just wondering what i should look for to get this thing running. I'am 15 so i dont have much expierence working with motorcycles really, but my dad and grandpa do. I was just wondering what i should look for? First off i plan on getting new tires, new spark plug, and new battery. People also told me to get a new air filter and new oil filter, and to check for rust in the gas tank. What else do i need to look for to get my bike started?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yup, you're on a pretty solid track so far. The first thing you do is have a good long chat with your grandpa and ask what he did or didn't do to the bike in the way of modifications and repairs. Also what it needed in the way of repairs and maintenance the last time it was running. I would be writing all that stuff down so you can refer to it later on. You might also ask him about the bike's history and any documentation he has for both aesthetic and practical reasons. Dont' forget to ask him what he has for shop manuals and parts manuals. Finally be real nice to him as he is giving you a classic machine and you wnat to be able to call him up later on a dn ask more questions.
As for an oil filter, there is no oil filter unless your grandpa did a conversion as an aftermarket thing. The Air filters are of the wire mesh kind and are cleaned up just like K&N filters. That will be two spark plugs by the way you'll need.
Expect that the gas tank may give you some grief and it will need to be cleaned up real good unless preservation additives were mixed in. The carbs will need to be cleaned up as well as thet too may not have beeb drained.
All and I mean all of the fluids will need to be changed. How what what goes beyond this response. The points and condensors are probably due for replacing. Consider convertinf to an electronic conversion as most old British bikes have been. A bit more money but a lot more reliablity.
There's tons more but this should give you some idea.
Finally, welcome and don't be shy to ask for more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the stuff you mentioned relatively easy to clean/fix? And when you say cleaned up like KN filters what does that mean, like you can just hand clean them or something, because i know you can clean some air filters. I also read somewhere that Triumphs use sludge traps instead of oil filters and was wondering if that should be cleaned or something, but I heard it is extremely hard to get out. I just want this bike to be fixed up really nice before i get my license. Also, for rust on chrome what would be the best way to clean that up? I heard oven cleaner can do the job but is hard on the bike.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I appreciate your exuberance but you need to get a hold of a shop manual and read it first. Then ask questions when you need more help. Just on the sludge trap issue i could write paragraphs and yes you should be considering cleaning it.
Consider what needs doing to make your new bike into a keeper to be a winter project. If the chrome is heavily pitted there's not a lot you can do other than paint it if money is an object or replace it. I find that light rust responds quite well to something like WD-40 and rubbing. Soak the rust first with the oil and let it sit even overnight to soften it up.
You can wash out the filters to get the dirt out.
Your granpa may already have the shop manual. If not, this is the first thing you will need. If you don't know what you are doing, it will only end up costing you more money.
Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the books my grandpa gave me, workshop manual, owners book, replacement parts, and i think an ordering catalog. I was just at my moms house this week and didnt have the books so I just figured i would get on some forums to ask around since i didnt have the books with me. I appreciate your patience with all my question, thank you. I will start reading those books once I get to my dads

·
Premium Member
254 Posts
Congrats! Grandfather blessed you with a wonderful gift! You'll have the coolest ride in the parking lot at school.

First thing, get a workshop manual! This will help immensely. You are fortunate to have (I'm guessing) an auto shop at school with lots of great tools. When I was in high school my shop teachers donated their own old bike engines for us to work on and knew them backwards. You may want to take that class in the fall. Get that old gas out, and get those carbs apart and cleaned. Fresh gas, clean plugs and a fresh battery. You might be amazed at what might happen!

Good luck and enjoy!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Check out 1969 Bonnie sitting for 10 years in the Vintage Technical & Tips section. It has a full check list by Kadutz.

·
Registered
221 Posts
ahhh i wish i was 15 years old and had my hands on a old triumph,,your a lucky young man ,good luck to you ,post up some photos when you get it home ,,,,albert the tiprat

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Check out 1969 Bonnie sitting for 10 years in the Vintage Technical & Tips section. It has a full check list by Kadutz.

·
Premium Member
9,524 Posts
Hi,

Ask your grandad if he has any spanners (wrenches to you!) that he can give you. If not, get a basic set to fit your bike. I know that when your age I did myself no favours by using badly fitting tools and gave myself no end of trouble. Tools can be cheap, and will last a lifetime. Don't go mad, a decent socket set and half a dozen spanners will do. In the UK, it's harder to pick up Imperial tools at the local shop as there's a lot of Metric here now.

I'd junk all fluids, refresh and run the bike, junk again. The old petrol (gas) can be used for the first clean but bear in mind it is flamable. In the UK, getting rid of petrol is a nightmare.

When you do get the bike going, don't go mad. If it's had an oil change, all the oil will be in the wrong place. It needs to pump it around the system. The engine shouldn't be thrashed when cold so don't go over the top with the throttle

Steel wool and WD40 gets most rust off chrome - the steel wool is softer than the chrome. Sovol Autosol is good as well.

Don't throw away any part. EVER. One day you may need it.

If you take stuff apart, never force it - come back here to ask. Take digital photos. They are a godsend to getting stuff back in order and are free.

Lots of labels, sandwich bags and boxes for bits so you can find stuff.

Look at the manual so you're certain of howe stuff goes together, and if you have a problem. Stop and think. It's hard when you're keen but I and my mates did some horrific things to bikes that were now really valuable through good intentioned eagerness.

Have fun! Enjoy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts