Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm helping out with a local high school project sponsored by our chapter of the AMCA. (Evergreen chapter). The bike is going back together after painting. The bike has a Boyer ignition and a Sparx reg/rectifier. The coils are EMGO 6 volt coils, bike was running good before disassembly. We were starting to get the wiring harnesses installed today and found that the coils are too long and hit on the fender. The bottom edge of the coil cases are worn through from rubbing on the fenders.

I've got a couple of 12 volt coils. Would there be a noticeable difference in performance, starting, idling etc. if we put 12 volt coils in? Will they need to be wired differently?

As an alternative, is there a 6 volt coil available that will fit without hitting the fender?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Your coils sit in a large rubber grommet normally. Lift out the coil and put a wide cable tie around the coil under its top lip. It will lift the coil about 7mm upwards. I have been using 12 volt coils with a Boyer unit for 20 years so far with no problems.
I would also fit a rubber mat under the seat which will prevent contact of the coil leads and top from touching the seat base.

·
6,859 Posts
Hi Mike,

Boyer ignition and a Sparx reg/rectifier
EMGO 6 volt coils,
too long and hit on the fender. The bottom edge of the coil cases are worn through from rubbing on the fenders.
Depending how bad the wear is, it isn't impossible the coils can be fixed:-

. Original Lucas coils were oil-filled for cooling, so any hole through a case would've knackered the coil.

. However, the makers of cheaper pattern coils fill 'em with pitch - as it solidifies after coil filling, it saves the coil maker having to put in the separators Lucas put in. So, if the coils still contain their pitch, you could try teaching the high-schoolers some 'inspired engineering' (it's only "bodging" if it doesn't work reliably ;)).

I've got a couple of 12 volt coils. Would there be a noticeable difference in performance, starting, idling etc. if we put 12 volt coils in?
They'll either work - as they do for "rambo" and others - or they won't - as they don't for many other posters in Britbike internet forums ... :whistle

Will they need to be wired differently?
No, in series, same as the 6V coils. In parallel, the current draw will fry the 'box'. :(

is there a 6 volt coil available that will fit without hitting the fender?
Afaict, it was one of the problems of early oif - the gap between the coils and the fender wasn't large, fenders weren't made particularly accurately, a given fender could either take up the gap or subsequent vibration could cause fender and coils to touch. :Not again Later oif have a coil carrier that holds the coils off vertical, so the bottoms are further from the fender ...

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Mike,
Could you please share your high school project? I'm a member of the Build Motorcycle Club (and Tenor High School student). We have a project idea and I need to make sure I do my homework for me on time and send our plan to the teacher, but my groupmate's dad has an old (rather delapidated) 1967 Triumph TR6C Trophy and we thought maybe we could restore it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a link to the project. What else do you need to know?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts