Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some parts straight from a chicken house and with the help of some boxes of parts I bought from another guys garage and ebay I've about got a bike put together.

The frame

The motor

Painting the frame

Modifying the oil cover to hold paper filters

Got it done

Installing the motor...since I had to space it in a frame it wasn't designed for it was easier upside down.

Motor in, wheels on

Got it turned right side up!!!

Got some painting done and seat and handle bars on. The seat originally hinged on the opposite side.

Wiring and ignition stuff done

I didn't wire up lights but it's ready to test start. I had to install the points plate, adjust points, adjust timing, install rocker covers, rocker arms and pushrods, adjust valves, coat the inside of the tank, fabricate all hardware needed to brake on the left side, installed some sportster mufflers I had laying around and other misc.
Not sure if this link will work but I tried to share a video of my first ride. I put off trying to start it for months because I was pretty skeptical about being able to start it but not only did it start right up but it ran really good!!! I was amazed and pretty happy guy. First start in probably somewhere around 35 years...and all the seals still seem to be good.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Has to be the coolest first ride I've ever seen. Fading sunlight, rural dirt road and a Triumph twin coming back to life. Well done!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Glad the video link worked! Of course the first time I started it I had left the nuts on the rocker oil loose so I could make sure it was reaching there and forgot so I had oil all over the motor....grrrrrr. Took me a good while to clean that up!. But I did put an analog oil guage on and the thing has 60 lbs. starting out which made me feel good. I've got the lights on but not wired up yet. I'll post some better pics when I get everything wired...just got my flasher relay in today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts