Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people,

Can anyone please tell me what other year model tanks will fit on my 1971 oil in frame bonnie.

Cheers!!! :hammer:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Any 3 or 4 imp gallon oil in frame tank will fit. Even the BSA tanks will fit. I have also seen a TR5T adventurer / Trophy Trail alloy tank on a T140W (TSS).
Roy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
good puzzler for you sages, what modern front end will fit into a 650 bonni oil in frame, ie.by changing the top and bottom yolks, I need to up rate whole front end. P.S. to our colonial friends the yolks hold the forks onto the steering head, where the hell you got triple trees from god knows... have a think cheers lads!!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yolks are found inside egg shells. Yokes are what you are looking for. A yoke is a beam that connects 2 pulling animals among other meanings. You can see where yoke becomes appropriate to hold the front forks to a motorcycle frame. But you should also be able to see how triple tree is appropriate. 2 fork tubes/legs and 1 stem = 3 things that need to be held in position. The term tree has more than 1 meaning (shoe tree, coat tree) where the tree holds something. Both terms fit.

Scott

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Good reply Rookster! You've explaind soemthig that had puzzled me for ages, ie: 'triple trees'. Sounds daft to limey ears but maybe yokes (or yolks) sounds just as daft to you yanks?

As for front-ends gabow, if you get onto the T140 forum (a much smaller forum than this), one of the members on there, from Cornwall, has fitted modern upside-down front-ends onto several Triumphs and I'm sure he'd be glad to advise. Just google T140 forum (not T140.com, that's Shropshire Classics website - I don't recommend them for good advice). If you can't find it let me know on here and I'll try to post a link.

·
Registered
224 Posts
gabow,
I don't know the answer to your question, but you can help yourself here without demanding info. You need basically 2 measurements to get you going in the right direction: stem length & stem diameter. Measure the length of your stem and the diameter. Now start trolling ebay for GSXR or R1 front ends and ask the sellers for the same measurements. If you can find one that is the correct or close enough length then you can always have it cut to the correct diameter. Replacing stems can get tricky but is doable. You are going to have the get new bearings and races but that is the least of your worries at this point.

Scott

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rookster, It was'nt a demand, and don't teach your granny how to suck eggs I've been a mech. engineer 35 years! Just looking for the easiest way without going into my machine shop to make a front end.. bloody colonials. loves u. G.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts