Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all! I have just picked up a 1971 triumph, stamped t120r on left engine case, oil in frame. my question is what is the correct oil change procedure and capacity (how much does it hold?) also is the transmission and or primary seperate oil (it has 2 drain plugs on bottom of engine and what is their correct capacity?) I have read some topics on running this engine without the oil filter would anyone know the story behind this? and where the filter is located? I am a lifelong rider and motorcycle lover I am just new to the vintage triumph! any help will be greatly appreciated as I have called my dealers and can not find any information on this subject! thanks again! joey

·
Registered
794 Posts
Joeyputt7,
Welcome to the forum.

The crankcase is virtually a dry-sump system, where oil is sucked from the bottom via the oil pump and fed back to the frame "tank" and rockers. There is a coarse gauze filter at the pickup pipe, which can be removed by taking out the large angled bolt under the centre of the crankcase bottom. There is also a finer gauze filter inside the bottom of the frame pipe, where the feed comes off for the oil pump intake (rubber hose). This can be accessed by taking the four nuts off the bottom of the frame pipe and removing the squarish base block (drain all the oil first). Some owners (including me) fit after-market screw-on paper filters, usually fitted to the main frame pipe, and utlising the return oil line hose.

Capacity of OIF tank is around 2.7 litres (I think - at work, no book). Primary case is semi-shared with the crankcase (via breather holes), and takes 150ml of engine oil as initial fill (to lubricate the primary chain). Gearbox takes 500ml of 80W90 hypoid gear oil, and is completely seperate from the engine oil.

Grab yourself a workshop manual - eg Haynes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts