Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am looking for a winter project and found a 71 T120 for sale locally. I am a novice mechanic and looking to learn and have some fun. The bike looks complete but probably has not run in awhile. He is asking $1500. Any suggestions? I have heard numerous comments on the OIF set up, but is it really anything to worry much about? Not concerned with resale value as much as experience. Any comments would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Premium Member
9,566 Posts
ok, I'll chip in, although I'm a short arse and have never ridden a 71.

I like the OIF, and they are cheaper than the non OIF. The 71 will be a high framed bike that took several years to eventually settle down to the final frame.

I understand that if you've longish legs, the bike is fine. I have to have a lower saddle on my bike to get both feet on the ground.

as always, a bike that "looks ok but hasn't run in a while" is far cheaper in the States than the UK but you see some real messes over here for £2k that will require a lot of work.

If you are happy with the frame height, I'd go with it, but be prepared to spanned at least twice the purchase price on parts. Wheel rebuilds and paint cost a lot. Dented tinware or replacements can cost a fair bit

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've owned my 71 bonnie since 1973 I think the height issue is b.s. I'm 5'8".
Really reliable bike easy to work on. Parts are easy to get in Aussie. They handle great very solid frame just check the swing arm pivet where its welded to oil tank if they haven't been lubricated they can crack. My bonnie gets plenty of fresh oil and preventive maintenance and has never let my down in all the years iv owned her.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I was wrong on the description though. It is a T 120R, not a T 120. What is the difference?

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
"R" just means road;not competition model.I think they were all T120R in '71.
Some years there were T120C or T120TT competition models.
You could get the TR6R or TR6C in '71.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to the owner today and found a lot out on the bike. Everything is complete but missing tail light and ignition keys. Kick starter does not turn motor, feels like motor is seized up. Hasn't run in 15 years or so. What should I be worried about with this bike? Again, I am a novice mechanic looking for a project to learn on, but I do not want a paperweight either. I got the priced own to $1000. Seems like a good deal if I can get the engine free. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try pulling the clutch in sometimes they lock on the kick starter quadrant. If it kicks over with clutch in and not when clutch out probably seized motor. Try WD40 down plug holes. Sometimes helps leave overnight. These motors are very strong how many miles has the bike done. Also try to find DVD by hughie hancocks on 650 rebuild it will be a great help to you he pulls a motor down and rebuilds easy to follow. If I could buy a bonnie for $1000 no matter what condition in Australia I,d take all I could get.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
884 Posts
I talked to the owner today and found a lot out on the bike. Everything is complete but missing tail light and ignition keys. Kick starter does not turn motor, feels like motor is seized up. Hasn't run in 15 years or so. What should I be worried about with this bike? Again, I am a novice mechanic looking for a project to learn on, but I do not want a paperweight either. I got the priced own to $1000. Seems like a good deal if I can get the engine free. Any suggestions?

Buy it!!

TD

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
I got the priced own to $1000. Seems like a good deal if I can get the engine free. Any suggestions?
There's a good chance the engine is OK.Don't be in a hurry to pull it apart,until you check other things.
WD-40 in the cylinders sounds good.Put the plugs back afterward.

Tie the clutch lever back to the handlebar.It will help free the clutch plates;they may be stuck together.
If you put the bike in top gear,you will be able to push the bike without turning the engine when the plates separate.

Drain the gearbox oil and primary oil,and see what comes out.Leave the engine oil alone for now.If you really must drain the crankcase,clean the plug thoroughly.Don't take the plug right out,just loosen it a few threads and let the contents seep out slowly.

If you remove the primary case cover,you'll probably find the reason it's not turning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts