Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been really enjoying the videos put out by Lunmad. After watching his video on "changing the oil in my 650 Bonneville", I decided to take a look at mine. When he removed the square plate on the bottom of the frame, he shows an oil filter that looks like a top hat. When I removed mine, ....just a flat plate....no oil filter. Is mine missing or is that just a subtle difference between models/years? Mine is a 71 Bonneville.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Have you checked that the top hat is not still inside the frame. Sometimes the sump plate will come off leaving the top hat in situ.

Of course this assumes this model has a top hat.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
I'm pretty sure that all the OIF had the top hat filter.

The design of the OIF tank changed a bit, with feed pipes being removed/raised due to clearance issues or something but the bike does need a filter.

Even if a PO had fitted a cartridge on the return, it would be good advice to keep one on the feed. I'd use a later type that has a wedding band around the base as an extra place for sludge to settle.

·
Premium Member
9,579 Posts
thst's what I have

I believe that some bikes have a small tube inside the tank nr the bottom.
I'd check with the supplier that the kit fits

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 71 has the top hat type with a hole in to for pick up pipe this changed in later years by repositioning pipe so no hole required. Type with hole are little harder to find you may have modify later type

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts