Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hacked up 1970 Triumph bobber. With some help from Collin's cycles in PA. I have resurrected an eye catching hardtail. Here is the problem, Completely rebuilt everything, new battery, updated new ignition, and new wiring. When I ride the bike it just quits. If I am at a highway speed I can turn the ignition switch off and back on then the bike backfires and runs. If I am at a stop, I turn the switch off then on and the bike starts. I have replaced the switch...same thing. Replaced the brain box...same thing. I am leaning towards a stator. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Somewhat frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
12,455 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Your problem has NOTHING to do with the alternator.

You have a faulty ground in your wiring.

It is highly advised to do a "single point" grounding for ALL electrical components to one common point, with heavy ground wires running to a clean, bare spot on the frame, engine, and battery Positive terminal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

I will re-wire this winter with the many other up-grades needed. Any idea why a brand new clutch would still slip with play in the adjustment. Thanks again

·
Registered
478 Posts
I always garnet blast my plain plates so they don't slip or drag, but as GPZ says 1-4 of his post. I spend about 15mins getting the pressure plate to be even by pulling in the lever and slowly depress the kickstarter whilst watching the pressure plate as it rotates. Always use a pointer as close as possible to the rim of the pressure plate and adjust springs so there is a perfect lift.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
While I do agree with you guys, if you are checking the run out of the pressure plate, also check the run out of the clutch basket and then the rock on the bearing rollers............ you might be surpried but I'm not! You will then understand why you can't get the thing to work properly in the first place?
Roy.

·
Registered
810 Posts
from your description, the bike runs untill you get to highway speed. At higher speeds your engine may be using more gas faster than the float bowl can be refilled, creating a vacuum. Check to ensure the gas tank is vented and gas has good flow. Another thing, do you have mufflers? Straight short pipes can cause the same symptom. As for your clutch you did say everything was rebuilt?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Dagad's point should be recognized for reference to a principle of broader application. Before you start making final adjustments, make sure all the parts of the system are within specs, and sub-system adjustments are in spec.

I remember trying to help two guys on another forum who were talking about aligning their wheels. Neither had bothered to check steering head bearings, swing arm bushes, wheel bearings, wheel true, fame and swing arm straight and true, etc. and didn't seem to understand why it was important. I gave up when another poster came on and told them not to worry about misalignment so long as the wheels tracked on parallell lines.

Get the fundamentals squared away before you get down to adjustments and fine tuning.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still quits

Actually got 13.8 on the volt meter

Tried, new switch, a toggle, and wired direct

No kill switch.

I ride it and it dies...If wired direct it continues to die...I un hook, rehook, it starts. if I have a toggle or a switch and it starts to die, going down the road, I turn the switch off and on then it runs. I rode it around for 10 miles just turning the switch off and on to keep it running.
If I let it die turn the switch off and on it will sometimes ignite a cylinder indicating spark. It has a new sparks ignition system with a positive ground. Yes it has straight pipes. 99.9% sure it is not a fuel problem... Thanks for your insight

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Finally, an answer

Maybe this will help someone out there... Collins Cycles sent me a new Sparx ignition system to replace the new Sparx ignition system that was installed. The bike had similar issues...It would start and then die but this time it would not restart for 5 minutes or so. I was ready to lose my mind. Before loading the thing up for Pittsburgh I decided to try re-wiring the bike with a negative ground. PROBLEM SOLVED!!:D Because I had time (raining) I asked a mechanic friend of mind to re-wire the bike with a positive ground (Sparx claims you can do both) problem returned. I am back to a negative ground, Sparx ignition system, and running great!! ...for now!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am sure you are right...But it stumped some of the brightest people I know. Thanks for the posts on the clutch

1 - 12 of 12 Posts