Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time user, hope im doing this in the correct area.
I was wondering if i changed my standard tappets to the mushroom type with allen key head do i have to remove the tappet covers?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You will likely have to remove the rocker boxes. The foot of the Mushroom adjusters I have had will not fit into the threaded hole of the rocker arm and therefore needs to be screwed upwards from the underside of the rocker arm.

Rod

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Some people have reduced the size of the mushroom head, so it will fit through the threaded hole.

Broken mushroom-type adjusters has been a common problem. Makers did not restrict the case hardening from the threaded section.

If you want to play safe, keep to standard.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The mushroom adjusters you should use are copper plated them machined to expose the valve contact surface which is them case hardened. The contact surface will be grey. The rocker boxes will need to be remove for installation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice fellas. With the tappet spanner you can buy (the one like a tube with handle and another tube that fits in the end that adjusts top of tappet) does anyone know if they come with alan key end and if so where you buy them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts