Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

My TR6, which has until now run flawlessly, and started with at most two kicks, abruptly developed bogging at low speeds and cutting out at stops. It started out of the blue at a stop sign today; when I rolled on the throttle it bogged a bit. Next few lights it got worse, and once backfired through the carb. Stopped at a friend's, and when I started it it backfired once through the mufflers. Then, after sitting for a couple of hours, it took at least a dozen kicks to start, and on the way home through town the engine died at several stoplights.

Once through the gears and up to highway (50 mph) speed it runs fine.

Any probable causes someone might suggest?

Also, I don't know if this could be related or not: This was the first day I rode home after dark (although I always ride with the light on). Once out on country roads, I noticed that every time I switched from low to high beam the engine hesitated or missed for just a split second. I thought I was imagining it, but it repeated every time. Possible it was doing it going from high to low beam as well, but if so it was much less noticeable. The brightness of the (H4) light seems perfectly fine.

That one is a total mystery to me.

Thanks for any ideas.

Jonathan

·
Registered
625 Posts
Without the headlight portion of your post, I would suggest going through the carbs. Sounds like ethanol effects to me. Gummy jets and pilot circuit that need cleaning.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Could be a short, especially in the headlight. I've battled that problem for a long time before looking at the switch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's definitely looking like a battery problem. With the engine off it's reading 10.4 volts. I know the Boyer ignition isn't happy with that.

I'll replace the battery today, and check the charging system.

I'd like to keep the H4 headlight, so I'll look into a high-output alternator.

Thanks for the help! It led me right to the source.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I run an H4 and a higher-wattage tail / brake light on the stock alternator. I don't have electronic ignition, but my battery seems to stay plenty charged.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Something very similar happened to my 72. Turned out to be a bad connection on the ignition switch. One of those blade connectors had stopped making adequate contact with the wire inside it.

Could be something different for you, but it's easy enough to turn the bike off and fiddle with the wires, maybe see if your headlights or taillights flicker or something. If they do it could give give you a clue.

Happy hunting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts