Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I wonder why they don't include the kill button in the power feed with the negative earth config. Breaking a circuit works in either config. Do not understand why breaking the ungrounded leg is not acceptible when it is okay to do it with the ignition switch. Seems like two different people made up those two diagrams.

Regarding the test across the battery, a good battery may have the voltage reading reduced by a very small amount when you turn on the ignition, especially if you turn on the lights at the same time. But a weak battery will truly sink to a low voltage. When I said "sink" I meant just that, drop to a very low reading. Sorry for not being clear.

regards,
Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hey guys. Just got back from my vacation, with a new Yuasa maintenance free battery waiting for me (I had checked if the battery was holding a voltage using a guide I found on the Gabma site, and it was not holding a voltage very well). After a little fiddling, I was able to get the bike to start, so I'm hoping this has fixed it.

But it did take a while to get it to start with the new battery. At first, it would not kick over. In fact, the kickstart did not feel like it was engaging. Not sure how to describe it. It was like I could not find the compression stroke. felt very little resistance. After that, I took the plugs out, checked that they were firing, put them back in, kicked a bunch of times with the clutch pulled in to free the plates, re-tickled the carbs, and gave it a good kick. This time it started!

I am not sure what happened, or why it wouldn't start the first time. Could it have been that the clutch plates were not free?

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
It must be a USA thing to stick clutches.In Britain,over 44 years of biking,i have never met a Triumph owner who has got a sticky clutch and I run around in a club with many triumphs

21 - 23 of 23 Posts