Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you wire a dual fire coil to points ignition. Do you use one set of points or both. .)

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
To use a single set of points you will need a special points cam that opens the points twice every revolution of the camshaft.
I agree...however, I have heard stories that the single Harley type coil will work wired to dual points because of the long dwell and one set of points is opened long enough to for reasonable function to around 6000 RPM.....Disclaimer, I have not given this much thought and it may be Internet nonesense.....................

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Hi Bsatrinor and Truckedup,
I had started to write for two sets of points, if the points wires joined together with only one condenser attached, the coil should work with a wasted spark.
I then realised that I had never tried this and did not have a clue if the cam design allowed one set of points to open before the other closed, if it didn’t it would never fire. If it did allow for both points open at the same time, then the dwell time might be too short. So I deleted the post.

If you have the coil anyway, It might be a try it and see job, if it works, then it works, if not the single coil wiring is for electronic ignition on Triumphs.

Good luck-let us know how you get on.

Peg

·
6,491 Posts
Hi,

How do you wire a dual fire coil to points ignition.
By "dual fire", you mean a single coil with two HT leads? If so, how much of the original bike - apart from the engine, points and auto-advance - is present? Standard points haven't been very good for decades, no-one's made replacement wearing aau parts for decades, the more of standard parts like frame, fuel tank, electrics, etc. present, the more I wonder why anyone would want to wire a twin-lead coil to points, given there's easier ways to get the ignition to work? :unsure:

Regards,

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I used my BSA A65 with a Boyer and a single coil with dual HT leads, it should be possible with points too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts