Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1970 T100R issue with cleaning up the wheels

295 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Traddict 
#1 ·
First timer at Triumph Rat and have no idea how to work this site. I hope someone sees this as I am a bit stuck.
In the middle of restoring a Daytona with grooved ridges around the front wheel. It is impossible to get in these grooves to get a good scrubbing in and remove some minor rust. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Automotive tire Grille Hood Automotive design Grey

It sounds like these are the ridges that run around the circumference of the hub on 7" and 8" TLS front brakes. I think that they are to help cooling the front drum. It is difficult to get in there while the wheel is laced. Have you tried one of those wire brushes that look a bit like an enlarged toothbrush? If you can get it inside the two flanges, you might be able to do a small part of the 'ridges' bit-by-bit.

Even if you manage to remove the surface rust, there's a good chance the hub will need to be repainted or powder coated or it won't be long before the surface rust returns.

It might be better to rebuild the wheel if the bike is being restored and fix any other issues with the rim/spokes/hub in one go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.