Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
looking at my friends british bike mags they seem well supported for parts. can you say they are that much smoother than the vibey 70 bonnie i bought.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
ha ha(well maybe not but you survived).......don't you wish you had a video
No time for a video, to busy saving my Norton, but its stuck well in my memory and can picture ever bit of what was happening in my head, if I couldn't get the tank off I would have lost the whole bike, the bike was well alight and lucky the flames were going up and not down.
You be surprised in how many mistakes you make when in a panic, we had a good laugh about it after but wasn't funny when it was on fire.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
i knew about its isolastic setup, prolly similar to my traded rubber mounted hardly porkster, its engine shook violently but little got thru. that makes me want an old norton even more!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
i knew about its isolastic setup, prolly similar to my traded rubber mounted hardly porkster, its engine shook violently but little got thru. that makes me want an old norton even more!!
There are a lot of modern upgrade today for the Commando's and they are even smoother with the upgraded isolastic system that makes them even better to ride as well handle, the 850s are better for keeping the oil in.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
been a while since i rode anything with brake pedal + shifter on other side, i know later nortons went to USA setup

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
although i was a LOT younger then, a little "tickle" + usually one kick easily started my 70 T120R with mild compression + only 650 CC adding weight + complexity of an electric starter was NOT necessary!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
been a while since i rode anything with brake pedal + shifter on other side, i know later nortons went to USA setup
The right side gear change is called the race change one up, three down and in my books is the right way, as for the 75 electric start models it was more a kick start helper, I could have brought the new ES model when I bought my old stock 74 model but being young and had to get a loan to buy it new the kick start model was $450 less than the ES model, it might not sound like much these day but back in 76 and only 17 years old I had to get a loan to buy my Norton and the extra $450 was a lot of money in them days, it also made the bike heavier with the ES set up, plus the ES models had problems with soft cams and the lobes wore down.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
To this day I have never mastered the skill to kick start a bike. I could start 'em but it was always a matter of long before I got it to fire. The only one I can start reliably in 3 or 4 kicks is my BSA with a manual advance mag. I am currently bringing a '74 MK2 back to life and I am installing a CNW electric start so I can be sure it will start before I'm so tired I can't ride.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
like vehicles of today there are many costly unneeded trinkets on them, i like simple + IMO unless its a big engine without compression release a kick starter is fine IMO

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
With a Commando it was tickle the carbs until gas squirts out the hole, choke on, no throttle, jump up and put all your muscle into the kick and it should start right up.
When hot no choke, no throttle, I seem to recall dispense with the tickle.
If the timing is off, well, don't even think of it! A kick back from a big Norton twin is something you really want to never experience.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
To this day I have never mastered the skill to kick start a bike. I could start 'em but it was always a matter of long before I got it to fire. The only one I can start reliably in 3 or 4 kicks is my BSA with a manual advance mag. I am currently bringing a '74 MK2 back to life and I am installing a CNW electric start so I can be sure it will start before I'm so tired I can't ride.
Yes there is a knack to kick starting a Norton that most people can't work out, but kicking mine for over 44 years now I think I got the knack well and truly worked out lol, but if things are all tuned right and starting the kick when the pistons are up on compression they are easy to kick to life, my Norton has a Hot hi compression motor and none of my mates can kick mine to life, but I can have mine fired up on 1/2 swing on the kicker and always fire on the first kick, but I am also running a modern Joe Hunt Maggie which produces a very powerful spark as well having the longer T160 folding kicker also helps, I have no problems kicking my Norton to life even when sitting on the seat.

Ashley

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like golf, form is important, and she certainly has form!
As for kick starting a Norton, I have 3 of them and they all have different personalities when it comes to starting.
Best advice I have is tickle the Amals, then do one priming kick with the ignition OFF, then turn the ignition on and give it a kick - starts almost every time. If you have operational chokes, the amount of choke depends on the temperature. Hot weather requires none, cool requires 1/2, and really cold (below 40 degrees) almost full choke. They all like a different amount of throttle when starting, but I find about 1/4 to 1/3 to be a good range.

Just my $ .02

41 - 56 of 56 Posts