Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Ashley, Thank you for the compliment. However as usually is the case the bike looks a lot better in pictures than in person. As you can see in the following picture the paint is waaay beyond saving. Some of the good news is the inside of the tank is only surface rust. In the process of returning it to service I have installed a CNW electric boot, which leads to a 3 phase alternator and then it will need...............

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Ashley, Thank you for the compliment. However as usually is the case the bike looks a lot better in pictures than in person. As you can see in the following picture the paint is waaay beyond saving. Some of the good news is the inside of the tank is only surface rust. In the process of returning it to service I have installed a CNW electric boot, which leads to a 3 phase alternator and then it will need...............
View attachment 716659
Are you a member on Access Norton if not its a great Norton forum with a lot of helpful members if you are I use the same profile name as on here, I would love to one day put the CNW ES on my Norton but being a self funded pensioner money is tight, yes your tank does need a new paint job but then I rode mine around for a few years with a burned charcoal what was left of my paint after the major fire back in the 80s, now it has a blue paint job that is very old, has chips in it, scratches, some small dents and some flacked paint at the tank opening but the blue paint still looks good, its showing its age but that's the way I like it, my Norton only gets cleaned and polished once a year on its birthday the day I rolled it out the front door of the dealer new.
But owning my Norton for over 43 years and did the conversion to the Featherbed frame back in the early 80s I know ever nut and bolt on it and it has never let me down, it has always got me home except for broken chain lol, but with a bit of cleaning your bike would look great and of course a new paint job, my old sayin is if its not broke leave it alone.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
Ashley, I thought ashman looked familiar, so to answer your question I am on the Access Norton as oldbeezer. I too am retired so resurrecting this bike is taking a very long time but I have more time than money. I bought it with the intention of getting it running and selling it to make a few bucks. But the second I fired it up and heard it the first time I knew that wasn't going to happen. So now I'm fixing it up and keeping it, so I'll never get my money out of it. It will never be a beauty queen but I couldn't leave it as I found it. No doubt someone younger than I would pay dearly to get a paint job like that on their "rat rod". As far as the electric start I have issues kick starting bikes so that was the best option short of selling it.
Jim

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Hi Jim, You don't have to do a prize winning paint job and looking at the motor it looks pretty clean and a bit of elbow grease and who knows it will look great, just make sure the brakes and mechanical things are all good, I am not into show ponies and people who only fix them up for looks and hardly ride them, my Norton was a everyday ride till about 6 years ago when I brought my first Thruxton and now have 2, but I still love taking the Norton out and it gets more attention than the modern bikes where ever I ride it, I have done a lot of upgrades to my Norton in all the years I have owned it but it still looks old and well ridden, I have been offered a lot of money for it because its a one of a kind build, but it will be with me till its time to leave this life, but hopefully that will be a long time yet.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
first Thruxton and now have 2
Triumph Thruxtons or Velo Thruxton? In either case VERY nice bikes. My Norton is just getting a bit of a freshining. Gonna ride it not show it. oldgoldie is a reference to my BSA. I was trying to start it without retarding the mag (I forgot) which is why I now have difficulties with a kickstarter.
Jim

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
That's pretty! It's a CNW. It has lots of subtle mods.
Member on the Norton forum RobSS is waiting for his new CNW built Norton to arrive here in Aussie land, he ordered it a very long time ago and paid for it but had a long delay with it but its on a ship heading our way, with the hassles he had with the delays a normal person would have asked for their money back.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Was that due to the shipper or CNW?
Was CNW who was the delay, Rob paid $35k up front and it has been well over 1 1/2 years since placing the order and every time he got a time frame it went well over the time frame period then another time frame with the same thing happening, Rob is a very patient man and a few times was offered his money back, but as he told me he always wanted a older Commando that was built with modern upgrades and what else is he going to do with his money and time, then finaly got to the shipper who then said won't be shipped till the container is full so another long wait, then the shipper decided to ship with only 1/2 full container because of the extra long wait, so now on the ship somewhere and when it arrives here in Australia it will land 1500 miles from Rob down in Melbourne, rob lives in Gladstone so now he has to decide whether to fly down and ride it home or transport it up on a truck to his place.

Ashley

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sure would like to have one of these . . . one of these days.

Back in 1970, when I had my 1970 Kawasaki Mach III (H1), this bike -- the Norton 750 Commando -- was to be feared in the quarter-mile. Most times I could beat them in the quarter but they top-ended my bike and were also much, much better in the curves. The H1 was notoriously bad handling.

This is a beautiful specimen. If you want to spend $7500, it can be yours. It's in Tempe, AZ. (BTW, I'm not the seller -- I just found it on CL) View attachment 716442
S

·
Registered
282 Posts
An advert for a hearing aid appears on this thread when viewed on my mobile / cell phone.

Was there ever a better name for a bike than "Commando"? Or a better name for an engine than "Combat". The latest iteration of Norton has just gone bust.

I can recall reading a road test of a Dunstall Norton that achieved a 1/4 mile in the low twelves. Several internet references to a Cycle World test in 1971 of the same bike setting a time of 11.9 seconds. No Kawasaki Z1 at that time, perhaps the H2 was quicker? Would have been very close.

Sidecar scramblers powered by Norton big-bore engines can frighten spectators. A session as ballast in the chair would be memorable.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Combat was a good name for the 72 Commando's with the SS cam and high compression head as the motors exploded at a very low mileage, the main ball bearing would fail from the higher revs from the hot cam, but then came Super Blend main bearings which fixed that problem.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
although poor reliability was an issue if a nice one turned up near me i would have a hard time resisting + like the 70 T120R i bought new for just under a thou the 70's era nortons were beauties. i new little about them back then but they were also for sale when i bought the bonnie + stupidly sold it!!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
although poor reliability was an issue if a nice one turned up near me i would have a hard time resisting + like the 70 T120R i bought new for just under a thou the 70's era nortons were beauties. i new little about them back then but they were also for sale when i bought the bonnie + stupidly sold it!!!
Poor reliability, well I got to dispute that owning mine for 44 years now and well over 160k miles on it, it has never let me down except for 2 broken rear chains well one from doing a burn out in my younger days and a few years ago when it threw the retaining clip for the rear chain other than that it has never let me down and it was a every day rider till about 6 years ago when I brought my new Thruxton so now its semi retired just like me, but any bike would be unreliable if you didn't do the maintenance.
When I brought my new 74 Commando new in 76 I paid $1999 on the road, 17 years old, skinny as a rake with chicken legs and now I am 61 years old and still have chicken legs lol and the Norton is showing its age in looks but still goes strong, just like its owner.

Ashley

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
glad you got lucky! even today quality control suffers as there are recalls on various things with todays "global" economy. manufacturers are trying ti control pricing while increasing profits + everyone does outsourcing parts to save $$$ but when the "bean counters" opt for parts from an unreliable source we all suffer. our air cooled guru Forchetto noted harnesses poorly made in china + while changing my rear turn signals on my traded 2012 i witnessed shoddy splices as i peeled back the harness to the taillights + turn signals, of course cheaply made parts with inconsistent quality fall in the same basket!!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My Norton has always been reliable but it has had its share of failed parts or worn parts that needed replacing, my Norton chopped a hard life and trashing in my youth between the age of 17 to 20 years old, I still ride it hard but that's just me with all my bikes, but they are well kept from maintaining maintenance, crack oil tank, two failed EIs (just lucky wasn't on the road when they failed) a coil or 2, a fire, really just minor things, but also had things fail while on the road but my Norton always got me home, even got home on one cylinder, but it got me home.
I even had a made in India rear brake/sprocket bearing holder fail where the circlip mounts in the drum (cast iron) but it got me home, ordered a new brake/sprocket from RGM and while waiting for it to arrive I machined the circlip mount deeper and put a 2 size bigger circlip in, to this day I am still running that brake/sprocket and that was over 7 years ago and the new brake/sprocket is still sitting under my bench and it was only a 10 minute job on the lathe to fix it.

Ashley

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
A fire, minor, really?!?! Sounds like a good story to me.
Moral of that story was just after converting the Commando to the Featherbed frame back in the early 80s is never run volicity stacks with a minor fuel tap leak, I was on the bike and motor came to life when the bike went up a back fire through the carb was the cause, I was leaving my mate's place and he was waving to me and I thought he was waving good bye but he was waving FIRE FIRE, and lucky I was wearing my leather jacket as the flames went up my left arm. Damage was to the top of the Norton, new paint job to the fuel tank completely burned off, speedo damaged, wiring completely destroyed, and seat melted, next day had it completely rewired and fired up but had to wait for a week for the seat to be redone and for 2 years after rode around with the charcoal fire damage paint job on the tank, the Boyar EI failed a week after the fire, I was a 100 miles from home at a mate's place, just wouldn't fire up sitting over night, the replacement Boyar lasted over 33 years and was still working when I replaced it with the Joe Hunt Maggie.
We learn by our mistakes and always run air filters and to this day my fuel tank is still not bolted down.

Ashley

21 - 40 of 56 Posts